Professor Guoxing Lu
Doctor of Philosophy, University of Cambridge , United Kingdom; Master of Science, Cranfield University , United Kingdom; Bachelor of Engineering, Jilin University , China
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- School of Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering and Product Design Engineering
- EN709B Hawthorn campus
Guoxing Lu first joined Swinburne in 1995, after his post-doctoral research at the University of Cambridge and lecturing at the Nanyang Technological Univeristy (NTU), Singapore. He established the Impact Engineering Laboratory and became a full Professor in 2004. After a successful career at Swinburne, Professor Lu moved back to NTU as a tenured faculty member. In 2015, Professor Lu came back to Swinburne as Professor of Impact Engineering.
Professor Guoxing Lu's research interests are in impact mechanics, advanced structures and mechanical properties of novel materials. Such fundamental knowledge has a wide range of applications, which are also his interests. These include structural crashworthiness (automotive, marine, rail and aerospace structures--whether they are metallic or composites), design of light-weight structures and materials, ballistic impact and blast loading, design of protective gears for sport impact, and design of novel structures and materials (such as origami structures,cellular and auxetic materials).
Professor Lu is an Associate Editor of the International Journal of Impact Engineering and founding Board Member of International Society of Impact Engineering. He is a member of Editorial Board of the International Journal of Mechanical Sciences , Thin-Walled Structures and several other prestigeous international journals. He successfully organised several international conferences such as the11th Asia-Pacific Conference on Engineering Plasticity and Its Applications (AEPA2012) and the 5th International Conference on Design and Analysis of Protective Structures (DAPS2017). He guest-edited several issues of International Journal of Impact Engineering, International Journal of Mechanics Sciences and International Journal of Protective Structures. He has published one monoraph "Energy Absorption of Structures and Materials" (2003, with Professor TX Yu) and over 200 papers in international journals.
Professor Lu was Deputy Dean of previous Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences, Swinburne; and Assistant Chair (Research) in the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, NTU.
Professor Guoxing Lu studied Automotive Engineering in Jilin University, China. He was awarded a British Council Scholarship and obtained his MSc in Automotive Product Engineering from Cranfield University. He then moved to the University of Cambridge to conduct PhD on structural mechanics, under the spuervision of Professor CR Calladine (FRS, FREng). After two and a half years, he submitted his PhD thesis and then worked as a post-doctoral research assistant with Professor Calladine. His publication list is also available at https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=0qQqbk8AAAAJ&hl=en
Impact Engineering, Solid Mechanics, Novel Structures and Materials, impact and blasting loading; Material properties at high loading rates
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Energy absoprtion of materials and structures: The project will be concerned with energy absorption performance of structures and materials under quasi-static and dynamic loadings. It involves experiments, finite element analysis and analytical modelling.
Impact behaviour of novel materials and structures: The project will be concerned with energy absorption performance of structures and materials under quasi-static and dynamic loadings. It involves experiments, finite element analysis and analytical modelling.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Mechanical Engineering - 091300
- Automotive Engineering Materials - 090202
Also published as: Lu, Guoxing; Lu, G.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2019: ARC Training Centre in Surface Engineering for Advanced Materials *; ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centres
- 2019: Nurturing Graduates for Australian Automotive Engineering Futures - Automotive Engineering Graduate Program *; Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- 2019: Visiting Fellowships Scheme 2019 -Professor Jang-Kyo Kim *; Swinburne Research, DVCR&D - Internal contributions
- 2018: 2018 visiting fellowship scheme -Prof. Tongxi Yu *; Swinburne Research, DVCR&D - Internal contributions
- 2018: National Laser-Based Non-Destructive Evaluation System *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2018: Origami Structures and Materials: Energy Absorption and Impact Mechanics *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2018: R2.7.3 Manufacturing of Lightweight Panels *; Rail CRC Projects
- 2017: 2017 Defence Science Technology Group Maritime Future Technology Watch Program *; Defence Science Technology Group - Research Contract
- 2017: Evaluation of Hybrid Structures for Impact Performance in Rail Applications *; Rail CRC Projects
- 2016: Land vehicle alternative materials characterisation - Project 6.04 *; DMTC
- 2016: National Drop Weight Impact Testing Facility *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2016: Sandwich Structures with Folded Core under Impact and Blast Loading *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display