QS ranks Swinburne design in the top 100
- QS World University Rankings by Subject ranks Swinburne in the top 100 worldwide for Art and Design
- Civil and Structural Engineering ranks in top 200
- Communication and Media Studies ranks in top 200
Swinburne has again been recognised as having one of the best design schools in the world by the QS World University Rankings by Subject.
Ranked in the top 100 worldwide for Art and Design, Executive Dean of Swinburne’s Faculty of Heath, Arts and Design, Professor Scott Thompson-Whiteside says the university is proud of this result.
“Swinburne’s design disciplines have consistently been recognised for the quality of our graduates, our levels of industry engagement and our international collaborations with some of the best design schools in the world,” says Professor Thompson-Whiteside.
Professor Thompson-Whiteside believes these rankings also reflect the strength of Swinburne’s design research and ability to integrate design with other disciplines across the university.
“Our undergraduate, postgraduate and research programs bring together students, industry and researchers to produce outcome-focussed projects, not only in Melbourne but internationally as well.”
Designing ranking success
Design is constantly an important component of many activities at Swinburne. For example, Swinburne’s Centre for Design Innovation recently collaborated with Binus University on design-focused natural disaster relief.
In 2016 the first Swinburne Design Week was held, a public event and celebration of student and staff achievements in design.
The Design Factory Melbourne (DFM), a key pillar of Swinburne’s Innovation Precinct, is a unique platform that has allowed Swinburne to focus on interdisciplinary projects sponsored by industry and strengthen the university’s art and design areas. DFM is part of a global design factory network and students often work on global innovation projects with international clients.
Other recent highlights from Swinburne’s Art and Design area include:
- Twelve Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students from Melbourne and regional Victoria immersing themselves in their Indigenous culture during design workshop at Swinburne’s Hawthorn campus.
- Two Swinburne graduates were recognised by the Australian Interior Design Awards.
- Nathan Nankervis designed a t-shirt for Nike’s Australian Open campaign worn by Roger Federer
This is the third year in a row that Swinburne has ranked in the top 100 for Art and Design by the QS World University Rankings by Subject.
Other notable Swinburne rankings in the QS World University Rankings by Subject include:
- Civil and Structural Engineering: 151–200
- Communication and Media Studies: 151– 200
- Psychology: 251 – 300
Physics & Astronomy was also ranked as the top discipline within the university.
The QS subject rankings draw on a methodology similar to that used for the overall QS World University Rankings, with institutions scored for academic reputation, employer reputation and research impact.
Media enquiries0455 502 999