We are improving your Hawthorn Library!
Your student experience matters to us. That's why we have taken your feedback on board and are now creating a brand new library space, with key services for the Swinburne community housed within the one central location.
As we’re renovating Level 2 there will be some temporary changes and relocations in the meantime, but don't worry - it'll definitely be worth it.
Works now underway
Works on Level 2 have now started, and are scheduled for completion in Semester 2, 2018. Look out for directional signage and ask one of the team if you need any help! In the meantime, Latelab computers and printing facilities have been relocated to Level 1.
How can you use the library during the refurbishment?
We are excited with the progress of the refurbishment works happening on Level 2. To speed things along a little, we will introduce a temporary new entry into the Library. Please note that from Monday 24 September onwards the Library entrance via the Atrium on Level 2 will be no longer available. The new main entrance into the Library will be accessible via the Breezeway under BA building. This entrance will take you straight into the Hub and Latelab where you are able to navigate your way through the Library via the main stairs or lifts during Library hours.
You will still be able to access the Library from AMDC via the walkway (Level 3 AMDC, Level 4 Library) between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday. The AccessAbility entrance is via 60 Williams Street.
The Latelab will still be available 24/7 with all the computers and printers being relocated on Level 1, accessible via the 60 Williams Street entrance (next to the Swinburne Innovation Hub – Fire Station).
During the refurbishment project the following services will be located on the following floors:
Level 1 (Training room)
Library and studentHQ (also in BA202)
Printers and Photocopiers
24 hour access Latelab
Reserve and Holds Room
Language and Literacy Collection
Ask a Librarian
Group study rooms
Books, DVDs & Journals
Quiet study spaces
Quiet study spaces
During the refurbishment we have added some extra study spaces:
- you can access the study spaces in ATC103 and ATC206 via swipe card access until 11:30pm
- the Hawthorn Latelab is open Level 1 via the 60 William Street entrance, and meeting rooms on Level 1 are still available for use and booking
- Level 3 is still open for collaborative study, and meeting rooms are still available for use and booking
- Levels 4 and 5 of the Library are still open for quiet study
- some other great study spaces around campus include the foyer in AGSE and the AMDC skydeck area
- eduroam is accessible at our on-campus cafes
- and don’t forget the recently added Latelab services at both Croydon and Wantirna (hours can be found here).
When will the refurbishment be finished?
Currently the major works for Level 2 are scheduled through Semester 2, 2018.
What’s changing and why?
We have taken your feedback from student experience surveys and interviews seriously and are determined to provide you with a library space that meets your needs. The new Level 2 will offer:
- modern and open lounge areas
- more study space with better access to power and data
- more hangout areas
- a central location for all important key services for the Swinburne community such as Library & studentHQ services, Library Liaison, International, Learning and Academic Skills, Housing and Finance, Medibank, IT TechBar as well as different pop-up services
- better access to AMDC and the Swinburne Innovation Hub (Fire Station) from the Library with a new access point via McLeod Lane
Curious about the next stage of the refurbishment works?
Take a look at the floor plans for Levels 1 and 3:
Let us know what you think
We will keep asking for your creative ideas and feedback throughout the refurbishment works. Here's some feedback you've given us on the architect's plans:
- “I like the new late entry concept”
- “More bookable study space please”
- “Add space for headphone users so they don’t disturb others”
- “The colours in the concept picture should change”
- “Add some plugs beside the table so we can more conveniently charge our devices”
- “More areas open overnight”
- “Looks great! What about a space for meditation?”