We are improving your Hawthorn Library!
Your student experience matters to us. That's why we have taken your feedback on board and are now creating a brand new library space, with key services for the Swinburne community housed within the one central location.
As we’re renovating Level 2 there will be some temporary changes and relocations in the meantime, but don't worry - it'll definitely be worth it.
Works now underway
Works on Level 2 have now started, and are scheduled for completion in Semester 2, 2018. Look out for directional signage and ask one of the team if you need any help! In the meantime, Latelab computers and printing facilities have been relocated to Level 1.
How can you use the library during the refurbishment?
The library will still be accessible during this period through Level 2 (the Atrium entrance) to the lifts and stairs via a pathway. You will also be able to access the library from AMDC via the walkway (Level 3 AMDC, Level 4 Library).
The Latelab will still be available 24/7 with all the computers and printers being relocated on level 1, accessible via the 60 Williams Street entrance (next to the Swinburne Innovation Hub – Fire Station).
During the refurbishment project the following services will be located on the following floors:
Level 1 (Training room)
Library and studentHQ (also in BA202)
Printers and Photocopiers
24 hour access Latelab
Reserve and Holds Room
Language and Literacy Collection
Group study rooms
Books, DVDs & Journals
Quiet study spaces
Quiet study spaces
During the refurbishment you can access the study spaces in ATC103 and ATC206 via swipe card access until 11.30pm. The Hawthorn Latelab is still available via the 60 Williams Street entrance - and don’t forget the recently added Latelab services at both Croydon and Wantirna (hours can be found here).
When will the refurbishment be finished?
Currently the major works for Level 2 are scheduled through Semester 2, 2018.
What’s changing and why?
We have taken your feedback from student experience surveys and interviews seriously and are determined to provide you with a library space that meets your needs. The new Level 2 will offer:
- modern and open lounge areas
- more study space with better access to power and data
- more hangout areas
- a central location for all important key services for the Swinburne community such as Library & studentHQ services, Library Liaison, International, Learning and Academic Skills, Housing and Finance, Medibank, IT TechBar as well as different pop-up services
- better access to AMDC and the Swinburne Innovation Hub (Fire Station) from the Library with a new access point via McLeod Lane
These changes have come from your feedback, which has included:
- “More study space please”#
- “More power points!!”^
- “Better lounge areas in the library…”^
- “The facilities in the library and the chairs are not comfortable. Also we want more meeting rooms and quiet areas”^
- “The library and study pods need to be increased.”^
- “[…] Swinburne […] seems a lot more tightly packed. There's not many areas for people to hang around”#
^ Student Experience Survey 2016
# CX student interviews & “have your say” CX display 2017
Get excited with us and join us on the journey of improving your on-campus experience!