Care leaver support

Swinburne University of Technology offers a range of support services to care leavers (students who have experienced foster, kinship, residential or permanent care).

We are committed to supporting your transition into higher or vocational education as well as helping you to achieve your academic goals.

Swinburne is proud to partner with the Centre for Excellence in Child and Family Welfare’s Raising Expectations project which is helping more young care leavers to access further education.

Dedicated and personalised support

We are here to help. We can work with you to find a course that best suits you, feel more confident and comfortable about studying in a different environment, or figure out how vocational (TAFE) and higher education works!

Swinburne offers dedicated and tailored support for care leavers to access study, including:

  • course and training guidance
  • helping you apply for a course
  • career guidance (resume preparation, interview skills, job search skills) via one-on-one sessions or group workshops
  • referring you to external support services
  • helping you to access Swinburne’s student support services


If you have any questions about how Swinburne can help you, contact our support team:

Linda Kearley, Croydon and Wantirna campuses
t: +61 3 9726 1705

Stefanie Hansen, Hawthorn campus
t: +61 3 9214 8500

Scholarships, awards and grants

There are a range of scholarships and grants available to care leavers providing you with financial assistance while you study. Check your eligibility for one of the following scholarships, or explore the range of grants available:

Student services

Care leaver students are entitled to use Swinburne's full range of student services. Here are just some that might help you during your studies.

Other support resources

Here are some useful community support services available to care leavers:

  • Swinburne’s Skills and Jobs Centre at Eastland Shopping Centre provides information about preparing for your first job, looking to retrain or taking the first step in a career change.
  • Leaving Care, the Victorian government provides services and support to assist young people, aged 16 to 21, to transition from out-of-home care to independent living and adulthood.
  • The Leaving Care hotline, 1300 532 846, provides advice and referrals for young people leaving out-of-home care in Victoria. The hotline is supported by Melbourne City Mission.
  • Melbourne City Mission assists people with housing, education, employment and social support. This includes accommodation options for young people under the age of 25 experiencing or at risk of becoming homeless.
  • The Transition to Independent Living Allowance is a one-off payment of $1500 available to eligible young people leaving out-of-home care.
  • Anchor’s youth development service supports young people experiencing, or at risk of homelessness, so they can learn, develop and thrive. Anchor helps with housing, education, employment and life skills.
  • Berry Street offers support for young people when they leave the protection and care system, helping with accommodation, independent living skills and community networks.
  • CREATE Your Future has information for young people leaving and transitioning from care about leaving care, living skills, money, work and study, accommodation, relationships, and keeping healthy.
  • CREATE’s Go Your Own Way kits are a great resource for young people who are planning for their transition to adulthood and independence.
  • Youth Central is the Victorian Government’s website for young people with information about jobs, studying, moving out of home, getting a driver licence, travelling, managing money and your rights as a young Victorian.