Most local students studying an undergraduate degree in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) at Swinburne and UniLink students can pay their tuition fees via a HECS-HELP loan.

A CSP is a higher education place partly funded by the Australian Government and partly funded by you. The part funded by you is your student contribution, which you can pay in full up-front each teaching period, or defer and repay later with a HECS-HELP loan.

2019 student contribution band

Annual student contribution amount for 1 Equivalent Full-Time Student Load (EFTSL)^

Band 3: Law, dentistry, medicine, veterinary science, accounting, administration, economics, commerce

$10,958 per standard year
$1,369 per standard subject (12.5 credit points)

Band 2: Computing, built environment, other health, allied health, engineering, surveying, agriculture, mathematics, statistics, science

$9,359 per standard year
$1,169 per standard subject (12.5 credit points)

Band 1: Humanities, behavioural science, social studies, education (see notes*), clinical psychology, foreign languages, visual and performing arts, nursing (see notes*) $6,566 per standard year
$820 per standard subject (12.5 credit points)

*Notes for 2019 amounts: For students who commenced their course of study before 1 January 2010, the maximum annual student contribution amount that may be charged for education and nursing units is $5254. Students who started their course of study on or after 1 January 2010 are subject to the maximum student contribution amount specified in the table above. Learn more about student contribution amounts on the government website StudyAssist.

HECS-HELP loans allow you to defer payment of your student contribution until you earn above the minimum repayment threshold.

If you are not offered a CSP you can still get government assistance to pay for a full-fees place with a FEE-HELP loan.

You should also check other loans and discounts and scholarships that you may qualify for.

You can read more about HECS-HELP loans in detail on the government website StudyAssist or download this booklet [PDF, 680KB].