OSHC is a requirement of your visa.

Having valid student health insurance in Australia is a condition of your student visa. Breaches of your student visa conditions may incur serious consequences. Visit the Department of Home Affairs for more information.

You do not need OSHC if you are:

  • a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  • a Swedish student covered by Kammarkollegiet
  • a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.

For the duration of your visa, you and your dependants must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), which provides medical and hospital insurance.  You must not arrive in Australia before this insurance starts.

Length of insurance cover

You must obtain OSHC for the proposed duration of your student visa. Your OSHC commences from date you arrive in Australia and a minimum of two weeks before your course start date. You must not arrive in Australia before your health insurance start date as per your OSHC certificate.

Course and visa duration

Your OSHC should cover you for the duration of your course as well as the length of your visa, which is generally granted for longer than the course duration. The length of your student visa will depend on the duration of your course:

  • For courses 10 months or longer that will finish at the end of the Australian academic year (between November and December) visas will generally be granted until March 15 of the following year. 
  • For courses 10 months or longer finishing any time between January and October – visas are granted for two months longer than the course end date.
  • For courses under 10 months in duration, visas will generally be granted for up to one month longer than your course end date.

Undertaking more than one course

If you undertake more than one course as part of a packaged offer, your OSHC must be valid from the day you arrive in Australia and for the duration of your packaged course visa. You must maintain international student health insurance during your time in Australia.

For more information on the length of stay for student visas, visit the Department of Home Affairs.

Applying for cover

To apply for OSHC, complete the relevant section of your Offer Acceptance Form and include payment for your cover when you pay your deposit. We will then purchase OSHC for you.

Medibank Comprehensive OSHC

Our preferred provider of overseas student health cover in Australia is Medibank Private, and a Medibank Comprehensive OSHC policy is purchased for students by us.
The Comprehensive policy offers students three types of cover:

  • Single policy: covers only the valid student visa holder
  • Couple policy: covers one valid student visa holder, plus either one adult spouse or recognised de facto partner
  • Family policy: covers one student visa holder plus more than one dependant – this can only include one adult spouse or recognised de facto partner, and one or more dependent children aged under 18.

A welcome email will be sent to your student email (your student email is your 9-digit student ID @student.swin.edu.au) with instructions on how to activate your Medibank OSHC policy when you arrive in Australia.
You will need the following documents to activate your policy:

  • Your policy certificate (sent to your email)
  • Your Passport
  • Your Certificate of Enrolment (CoE)

You will be asked to confirm and update your personal details as part of activating your policy.
Once complete, you will be able to access Medibank’s Online Member Services.
Find out more about Medibank Comprehensive OSHC

Your Swinburne Letter of Offer will list how much your OSHC will cost for a single, couple, and family cover policy based on the duration of your course(s). This should be paid with your deposit when you submit your Offer Acceptance Form.

You should indicate which cover you require on your Offer Acceptance Form. You will then be required to pay the cost for your chosen student insurance in Australia policy when you pay your course deposit.

You must maintain valid OSHC for the duration of your student visa. If you have transferred from another institution and your cover is due to expire before you complete your final course with us, you must renew your OSHC before your current cover expires. Your OSHC membership card shows the expiry date of your cover.

If you already have OSHC, you must provide evidence of visa-length cover in your visa application. This means you must be able to show that you have OSHC for the proposed duration of your student visa — from the beginning of your first course until you complete your final course.

If your existing OSHC cover is with our previous provider, Allianz Global Assistance, you can access support the following ways:

Visit Allianz CBD Location 
Level 5, 360 Elizabeth Street
Melbourne CBD 
(Monday to Friday, 10.30am to 3.30pm)

Allianz Global Assistance website
T: 13 OSHC (13 67 42)
E: oshc@allianz-assistance.com.au