Conditions of your visa

The Department of Home Affairs is responsible for issuing visas into Australia. Student visas can only be granted for courses registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

Your student visa will be issued for the course(s) listed on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from Swinburne. It will be subject to a range of conditions. If you do not meet those conditions, your visa may be cancelled. 

If you change or extend your course(s) at Swinburne, you may need to change your visa or visa details. Restrictions apply to changes and extensions. Please refer to the Department of Home Affairs for more information. 

How to apply for a student visa  

To apply for an Australian student visa, you must first accept your offer to study with Swinburne and pay your university deposit.

You will then need to submit these documents to the Department of Home Affairs:

  • a valid passport
  • your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from Swinburne
  • your Letter of Offer from Swinburne
  • all other documents on the Department of Home Affairs' visa checklist

Please read the visa checklist, conditions and requirements before you apply. Visa approvals are not automatic and all criteria must be met.

If you’re under 18 years of age, your parent(s) must nominate a guardian before the Department of Home Affairs considers your student visa application.

The Department of Home Affairs requires your guardian to:

  • live in Australia
  • be at least 21 years of age
  • be related to you
  • be of good character

The Department of Home Affairs defines a relative as a parent, step-parent, brother, sister, grandparent, aunt, uncle, step-aunt, step-uncle, spouse, de facto partner, child, step-child, step-brother, step-sister, grandchild, niece, nephew, step-grandparent, step-grandchild, step-niece or step-nephew of the applicant.

If you do not have a relative who lives in Australia, your parents must arrange for you to stay in accommodation approved by Swinburne. They must also contact a Swinburne-approved care provider agency before we issue a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) form.

Swinburne recommends these care provider agencies:

If you plan to bring your family to Australia, please check the conditions outlined by the Department of Home Affairs or contact your nearest Australian embassies or consulates.

Your student visa assessment criteria may change if your family is accompanying you to Melbourne. Learn more about bringing your family to Melbourne.

Do you need help?

Need more information about applying for a student visa? Can’t find the answer to your questions? Our friendly and knowledgeable international student support team are here to help.

Find our more