This page is for students who have received a direct offer from Swinburne and plan to enrol as a new local higher education student.

Note: If you have received an offer from the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) and plan to enrol as new local higher education student, your process for enrolment is a little different from the steps outlined on this page. Please refer to the VTAC offer guide for higher education students for instructions on how to enrol.

If your offer has come directly from Swinburne (not through VTAC) and you are a new local higher education student, begin the enrolment process by following the steps below.

Gather your information

To enrol online, make sure you have the following before you start the enrolment process:

  • your course planner — you'll need to refer to it throughout the enrolment process.
  • your Unique Student Identifier (USI). If you don’t have a USI, get one now.

Ready to enrol? Follow these steps:

To accept or defer your offer, you’ll need to log in to eStudent and click on the ‘Offers’ tab. 

Your username is your student ID as it appears in your offer letter.

You can create or reset your password here.

To accept your offer:

  1. Select ‘Respond to offer’ for the offer you wish to accept
  2. Check the details are correct and, if so, select ‘Accept’.
How to accept your offer
View transcript (DOC 111KB)

It’s also possible to defer your undergraduate or postgraduate offer (and commence studying at a later date) for up to two years.

To defer your offer:

  1. Select 'Respond to offer' for the offer you wish to defer
  2. Select ‘Defer’
  3. Provide details of the year and study period you'd like to defer until 
    Note: Swinburne assesses each deferral request and will inform you via email on the outcome of your request
  4. Select 'Continue'. 

You may also apply to take a Leave of Absence later in your course — see taking time off for local students.

  1. Log in to Student One. Your username is your Swinburne student ID. Forgot your password?

  2. Go to the ‘My Enrolment’ tab, select which course you wish to proceed with and accept our terms and conditions by selecting ‘Read and Accept’.

  3. If you are asked for further details e.g. your parent/guardian details, select ‘Provide’, then enter your details and select ‘Update’.

  4. If you’re asked to submit your Request for Commonwealth Support, select ‘Provide’ (this form is mandatory to confirm your Commonwealth Supported Place). If you’re eligible and wish to apply for HECS-HELP, you can do this on the same form.

  5. Next, refer to the course planner to check which units to enrol into and how many you should be doing. 

  6. You can find information to help you with your unit selection by viewing the planning your course structure pages on our website. If you wish to view a sample timetable, refer to your course planner to guide your unit selection, then visit the online timetable planner
    Note: A full-time study load is 4 units per teaching period (the period of time a unit is taught for — semesters and terms are examples of teaching periods); a part-time study load is 1–2 units per teaching period. If you’re starting in the middle of the year, make sure you enrol in the first four units on your course planner to ensure you’re studying in the correct sequence.
  7. Bachelor degree students may be prompted to choose a major when enrolling if a major forms part of the course structure. To select a major, click the ‘Select’ hyperlink from the option line below your course name. Click ‘Save changes to study planner’ and expand the major.

Add a Major – Steps to add a major to your study plan
View video transcript [PDF 163KB]
8. Select the units you wish to enrol in. Choose the teaching period from the drop-down menu in the grey bar. If there is no choice, we will select the period for you. (You may be able to enrol in units that run in our summer and winter term.)

9. You may be able to study some units online, or partly online and partly in a classroom on campus. If you can see these options, choose your preference.

10. Select the ‘Enrol’ checkbox on the right-hand side for each unit you're enrolling in. Then select ‘Enrol’ at the bottom of the screen.

11. Select ‘Confirm Enrolment’ to finalise enrolment. 

Make sure your enrolment matches your course planner. You need to study some units in a certain order. If you enrol in units in the wrong order it can affect future units you're able to study and how long it takes you to complete your course.

Your fees will vary based on the course and units being studied. To learn which fees you need to pay and when, and what government financial assistance you may be eligible for, see paying your fees

To make a payment:

  1.    Select the ‘My Financials’ tab within eStudent.
  2.    Select ‘Make a Payment’ from the left-hand navigation.

To apply for government assistance (HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP and SA-HELP):

  1. Select the ‘My Financials’ tab within eStudent.

  2. Select 'HELP forms' from the left-hand navigation.

  3. Select ‘Add New’ for a new application.

  4. Provide your details and select 'submit'.

To find out more about loans and discounts, see loans and discounts.

You can now register into classes for the units you have enrolled in:

  • Select the ‘Class Timetable’ tab.

  • To register into a clash-free timetable, select the ‘Register into clash-free classes’ button on the right of the screen. If the timetable generated doesn't suit, you may have some options on this screen to change it. To learn more about registering into classes, see setting up your class timetable.

If any course details change in the lead up to classes, we will take all necessary steps to advise you as soon as possible. This can include changes to duration, start date and — in exceptional circumstances — a course intake not proceeding as planned.

Note: Students studying only online-delivered units don't have a timetable and can skip straight to the next step.

Once you have completed class registration, congratulations — you’re enrolled!

How to setup your timetable
View transcript [PDF 204KB]

Once you have your timetable, you’re all set!

Make your first few days a breeze by looking through our Getting Started at Swinburne page and familiarising yourself with your campus and facilities. Don’t forget to collect your ID card from studentHQ on any campus.

Now all you need to do is think about which books and stationery you need to get the most out of your first year here at Swinburne. Check out the Swinburne Bookshop for everything from art boards to pens, hoodies to books and USB sticks to mousepads.

Need help enrolling?

If you need help with the enrolling process, we are here to help.

Even though most of us are learning and working from home at the moment, we're still here to help you get your enrolment sorted. We will be offering a virtual enrolment hub from 9 February to 12 March, where you can book a phone or virtual appointment for Enrolment Help or with a Course Advice Specialist.  You can contact Library and studentHQ, or send us an email or refer to our enrolment Help Guides for support. 

Book an appointment at the Enrolment Support Hub

The Enrolment Support Hub provides specialised support to help you enrol. You can book an appointment to speak to our staff to get answers on your reenrolment questions and help with planning your studies and timetable. We can also provide technical support and assistance in navigating online enrolment portals (eStudent and timetabling).

Learn more about the enrolment help we offer. 

Are you an Open Universities Australia (OUA) student?

Depending on your choice of degree, Open Universities Australia (OUA) students need to apply directly through Swinburne or through OUA. Learn more about how to apply to OUA

Do you have prior experience?

If you have completed prior study or have relevant work experience, you may be able to apply for academic credit for prior study or experience. Learn more about gaining credit for prior study or experience.

Are you a PhD or master degree (by research) student?

If you’re a PhD or master degree (by research) student, your enrolment process is a little different. Enrol via research to get started.