Also known as ‘advanced standing’, academic credit can be granted for:

You'll need to complete an application form for for academic credit or recognition of prior learning (RPL). If you’re granted credit for previous relevant study or experience, you may be able to finish your program sooner!

Need help or advice?

Our team at studentHQ is here to help with any questions you may have about getting credit and recognition for your studies or experience. 

Academic credit for relevant study experience

What is a Credit Transfer?

Credit transfer is the recognition of academic credits gained through formal study (i.e. units of competency) completed either at another institute or in another qualification. The total amount of credit will vary from individual to individual, based on the unit/s that have been successfully completed. 

How many credits can I expect?

We assess your application carefully and the amount of credits granted will be based on: 

  1. the type of study you have completed 
  2. how many units you have completed 
  3. the relevance to the course at Swinburne you are enrolling into.

Note: for a student to be awarded a Swinburne qualification, at least 25% of the course must be studied at Swinburne. Refer to Chapter 3 Study in Course, Part 2 Academic Credit, Item 24 Minimum studies at Swinburne for an award of the Academic Courses Regulations 2013

How do I apply for credit transfer? 

You can apply for credit transfer by submitting the Advanced Standing – Credit transfer form with a certified copy of either your academic transcript, statement of results, record of results or statement of attainment either in person or by post to studentHQ or by submitting an online enquiry.

Download the advanced standing credit transfer form

If you're currently studying at Swinburne and want to transfer from one related course to another, we will assess and review your currently completed units and apply credits if these units are deemed equivalent and relevant for the other course. 

For example, if you're undertaking a graduate diploma and then wish to undertake a master’s degree in the same discipline, the units you completed as part of your graduate diploma will be credited towards your masters if applicable.

How much credit can you expect?

We assess your application carefully. We base your amount of credit on:

  1. the type of study you have completed
  2. how many units you have completed
  3. the relevance to the course at Swinburne you are applying for.

Swinburne's academic credit policy

Our academic credit policy describes the requirements and principles that govern how we assess your academic credit application.

Recognition of Prior Learning for relevant work or life experience

If you have gained extensive and relevant knowledge through formal training or acquired relevant skills through work or through life experience, you may be eligible for recognition of prior learning (RPL).

What is Recognition of Prior Learning?

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is the process of transferring the skills and knowledge that you have acquired over your lifetime (irrespective of how they were obtained) against the requirements of the unit.  

RPL is an assessment process that requires you to provide evidence that demonstrates how you meet the requirements of the unit/s. The amount and types of evidence you will need to provide will depend on the unit requirements but can include for example:  

  • employment history 
  • volunteering 
  • unit content, resources and/or assessments completed from previous studies 
  • work documents such as reports, spreadsheets, or products/samples 
  • professional development 
  • leadership roles in sports clubs, life experiences, coaching experiences 
  • in house training programs 
  • short courses 
  • committees you may belong to 
  • project plans 
  • any other specific interests.

The RPL Student Information Guidelines provide further detailed information about RPL, what is involved in the RPL process, the timeframe allowed, fees and what you are required to provide. 

How many units can I gain through RPL? 

There is no limit to the number of units you can RPL within a course. 

How do I apply for RPL? 

If you are already enrolled and have commenced a unit that you think you will be able to achieve through RPL, speak with your course coordinator or senior educator. 

If you are new to Swinburne, please submit an enquiry and you will be contacted by one of our friendly staff members. 

Ready to apply for academic credit or RPL?

If you're ready to apply for academic credit or RPL to gain credit for your prior study or experience, then make sure you submit the application form that is relevant to you.

For higher education programs, complete and submit the online application form.

For vocational education courses, complete and submit the following:

Are you an international student?

Additions or variations to granted academic credit (exemptions) may impact your student visa. Check with our International Student Adviser team by calling +61 3 9214 6741 or emailing to discuss your situation.

Alternatively, you can meet an adviser in person from 9am–5pm, Monday to Friday, on the ground floor of the AMDC Building (Room AMDC106), located at 477 Burwood Road, Hawthorn.

Need a little help navigating your options?

Contact our team for assistance and we'll talk you through your study and academic credit options.

Contact us