Kath Watson Scholarship for Women
The Kath Watson Foundation was established to support female students from disadvantaged backgrounds to undertake and/or continue tertiary education and to achieve their full academic potential by reducing the need to work outside of study.
Students offered a Kath Watson Scholarship may undertake one of the following courses:
- a full-time vocational education course: certificate IV, diploma or advanced diploma
- a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate degree.
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible, applicants must:
- be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or holder of a permanent humanitarian visa
- be a female over 25 years of age or older by 1 January in the year the scholarship commences.
- commencing or current student studying full-time in a course at Certificate IV level and above at Swinburne in Semester 1 in the year the scholarship is awarded.
- demonstrate and provide evidence of financial need and educational disadvantage. Disadvantage may include:
- financial difficulty or low income
- disability or medical condition
- delay or interruption to career or studies because of family responsibilities or illness
- relocation from a rural or regional area in order to undertake tertiary study
- English as a second language
- identification as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- demonstrate a commitment to study and career aspirations (provide a personal statement not more than 500 words)
- have had an interrupted education, i.e. at least two years away from full-time study.
- provide two referee reports (written in the last 2 years) to support your application:
- an academic reference - from a person competent to comment on your capacity to undertake/continue tertiary studies e.g. a subject coordinator and/or a school principal.
- a character reference - from a person competent to comment on your suitability for the scholarship e.g. an employer.
Please note references cannot be supplied by a person related to you.
The scholarship is valued at $2000 per year for the duration of continuous study up to a maximum period of five years.
How to apply
Applicants must complete an online application form and submit with all supporting documentation by Thursday 25 January 2018.
Scholarships & Prizes