Kath Watson Scholarship for Women
The Kath Watson Foundation was established to support female students from disadvantaged backgrounds to undertake and/or continue tertiary education and to achieve their full academic potential by reducing the need to work outside of study.
Any vocational education (Certificate IV and above), undergraduate or postgraduate course offered by Swinburne University of Technology.
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible for the Kath Watson Scholarship for Women, applicants must:
- Meet the following criteria:
- female student
- 25 years of age or older in the year the scholarship commences
- an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or holder of a permanent humanitarian visa
- Meet the following enrolment criteria:
- be a commencing or continuing Swinburne student in Semester 1, 2023
- enrolled full-time in an eligible course (see courses eligible in section above)
- Submit a personal statement (500 words) addressing the following points:
- a commitment to study
- career aspirations
- Demonstrate and provide evidence of financial hardship and educational disadvantage. Disadvantage may include:
- financial difficulty or low income (Centrelink statement, payslips)
- disability or medical condition
- delay or interruption to career or studies because of family responsibilities or illness
- relocation from a rural or regional area in order to undertake tertiary study
- English as a second language
- identification as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- Provide two written references outlining your suitability for the scholarship:
- Academic reference - from a person qualified to comment on academic studies, such as a subject coordinator, school principal, etc.
- Character reference - from a person competent to supply a character reference such as a current or past employer.
The scholarship is valued at $2500 per year, for up to five years.
From time to time recognition awards may be bestowed.
How to apply
Applications are currently closed.
All scholarships offered by Swinburne are governed by a set of conditions. Please visit our Scholarship Conditions page for further information.
Fees and Scholarships Team, Student Administration and Library Services