Joan McPherson Welcome Scholarship
The Joan McPherson Welcome Scholarship was established by former Swinburne Vice-Chancellor and President, Professor Linda Kristjanson AO, in honour of her mother Joan McPherson.
Swinburne’s Welcome Scholarships for asylum seekers were established in recognition of the hardships faced by people seeking asylum. This scholarship will assist in the pursuit of their studies and new life in Australia.
This scholarship is offered to full time students who currently hold one of a:
- Bridging Visa 'E' (V050),
- Temporary Protection Visa (V785)
- Safe Haven Enterprise Visa (V790).
Any course offered by Swinburne University of Technology.
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible for the Joan McPherson Welcome Scholarship, applicants must:
- Meet the following criteria:
- provide evidence of currently holding either a Bridging Visa 'E' (V050), a Temporary Protection Visa (V785) or a Safe Haven Enterprise Visa (V790).
- Meet the following enrolment criteria:
- be a commencing Swinburne student in Semester 1, 2023
- enrolled full-time in an eligible course (see courses eligible in section above)
- Provide evidence of financial hardship. Documents such as:
- salary slips
- Centerlink statement
- Provide a personal statement of no more than 500 words outlining the following points:
- your passion for chosen course
- career ambitions
- how this scholarship would assist you to achieve your goals
Your personal statement must also exhibit your resilience, determination and commitment to service. This could have taken place in your home country or in any part of your journey in coming to and living in Australia. You should tell us how you intend to contribute to your community and society in future.
This scholarship is valued at $7,000 for one year only.
How to apply
Applications are currently closed.
All scholarships offered by Swinburne are governed by a set of conditions. Please visit our Scholarship Conditions page for further information.
Fees and Scholarships Team, Student Administration and Library Services