Jean Barry Scholarship for Women
The Jean Barry Scholarship for Women in Arts is made possible by a generous bequest left to the University in 2017. Jean is a Swinburne alum and completed a Bachelor of Arts in 1989.
The Jean Barry Scholarship was established to support female Bachelor of Arts students to undertake and/or continue tertiary education and to achieve their full academic potential by reducing the need to work outside the study.
Bachelor of Arts course offered by by Swinburne University of Technology.
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible for the Jean Barry Scholarship for Women, applicants must:
- Meet the following criteria:
- female student
- 25 years of age or older
- Australian citizen, permanent resident or permanent humanitarian visa holder
- Meet the following enrolment criteria:
- be a continuing (second year or later) Swinburne student in Semester 1, 2021
- enrolled full-time in an eligible course (see courses eligible in section above)
- studying on-campus
- Submit a personal statement (500 words) addressing the following points:
- demonstrating a commitment to study
- self introduction
- summary of what you are studying
- how this scholarship would make a diference to your life.
- Provide evidence of financial and/or personal hardship
- Provide two referee reports outlining your suitability for the scholarship:
- Academic reference - from a person qualified to comment on academic studies, such as a subject coordinator, school principal, etc.
- Character reference - from a person competent to supply a character reference such as a current or past employer.
The scholarship is valued at $5,000 per year, for up to two years.
How to apply
Applicants should complete an online application form and submit with all supporting documentation by 14 March 2021. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For assistance when completing your application, please view the Scholarship Application Help Guide.
Scholarships and Orientation, Student Administration and Library Services