Jean Barry Scholarship for Women in the Arts
The Jean Barry Scholarship for Women in Arts is made possible by a generous bequest left to the University in 2017. Jean is a Swinburne alum and completed a Bachelor of Arts in 1989.
The Jean Barry Scholarship was established to support female Bachelor of Arts students to undertake and/or continue tertiary education and to achieve their full academic potential by reducing the need to work outside the study.
Bachelor of Arts course offered by Swinburne University of Technology.
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible for the Jean Barry Scholarship for Women in the Arts, applicants must:
- Meet the following criteria:
- female student
- 25 years of age or older (in the year the scholarship will commence)
- Australian citizen, permanent resident or permanent humanitarian visa holder
- Meet the following enrolment criteria:
- be a continuing (second year or later) Swinburne student in Semester 1, 2022
- enrolled full-time in an eligible course (see courses eligible in section above)
- studying on-campus
- Submit a personal statement (500 words) addressing the following points:
- demonstrating a commitment to study
- self introduction
- summary of what you are studying
- how this scholarship would make a diference to your life.
- Provide evidence of financial and/or personal hardship
- Provide two written references outlining your suitability for the scholarship:
- Academic reference - from a person qualified to comment on academic studies, such as a subject coordinator, school principal, etc.
- Character reference - from a person competent to supply a character reference such as a current or past employer.
The scholarship is valued at $5,000 per year, for up to two years.
How to apply
Applications are currently closed and will re-open in August 2021.
Fees and Scholarships Team, Student Administration and Library Services