Merna Mattsson Scholarship for Women in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
The Merna Mattsson Scholarship for Women in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities is made possible by a generous legacy donation from the Mattsson family. Merna was a long serving staff member in the Swinburne Library.
The scholarship was established to support female students from disadvantaged backgrounds to undertake and/or continue tertiary education in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities to achieve their full academic potential, by reducing the need to work outside of study in order to finance their study costs.
Any undergraduate or postgraduate course in the School of Social Sciences, Media, Film and Education offered by Swinburne University of Technology. Online students are also encouraged to apply.
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible for the The Merna Mattsson Scholarship for Women in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities, applicants must:
- Meet the following criteria:
- female student
- 25 years of age or older
- Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, Australian Permanent Resident with Humanitarian visa or New Zealand citizen.
- Meet the following enrolment criteria:
- be a commencing or continuing student in Semester 1, 2023
- enrolled full time in an eligible course (see courses eligible in section above)
- Submit a personal statement (500 words) demonstrating a commitment to study. For example, returning to study after an extended period of time following a break:
- to raise or take care of a family
- medical necessity
- other pressing circumstances
- Provide evidence of financial and/or personal hardship
- Provide two written references outlining your suitability for the scholarship:
- Academic reference - from a person qualified to comment on academic studies, such as a subject coordinator, school principal, etc.
- Character reference - from a person competent to supply a character reference such as a current or past employer.
The scholarship is valued at $2,000 for one year only.
How to apply
Applicants should complete an online application form and submit with all supporting documentation by 31 March 2023. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For assistance when completing your application, please view the Scholarship Application Help Guide.
All scholarships offered by Swinburne are governed by a set of conditions. Please visit our Scholarship Conditions page for further information.
Fees and Scholarships Team, Student Administration and Library Services