Len Bettess Memorial Scholarship
The SMEC Urban Communities team deliver a fully integrated advisory services model, creating, planning, delivering and managing urban development projects from concept to completion. SMEC provides expertise in civil services engineering design, and their experience extends from low density urban land developments, through to high-density high-rise projects for government and private sector clients at a national level.
The SMEC urban development team has established the Len Bettess Memorial Scholarship In honour of a wonderful former colleague and Swinburne Alumnus. Len had a positive and energetic nature, and his passion for engineering led to an enviable engineering career, which included working overseas for years in Las Vegas. Len sadly passed away in 2018, but his legacy and passion for engineering within the urban development sector will be recognised through this scholarship.
This scholarship is looking to support students interested in a career in urban development, with a passion for engineering and learning. This scholarship provides $5,000 for one year and aims to support students achieve their full academic potential by reducing the need to work outside of study to finance their study costs.
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) majoring in Civil Engineering offered by Swinburne University of Technology.
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible for the Len Bettess Memorial Scholarship, applicants must:
- Meet the following criteria:
- Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Residents or holders of an Australian Permanent Humanitarian visa
- Meet the following enrolment criteria:
- be a third year Swinburne student in Semester 1, 2023
- enrolled full-time in an eligible course (see courses eligible in section above)
- achieved a minimum Credit average in completed units
- Submit a personal statement of no more than 500 words addressing:
- Passion for a career in their chosen field of study
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills
- Leadership qualities
- Interested in industry work experience with SMEC
- Provide one referee reports outlining your suitability for the scholarship:
- Academic reference - from a person qualified to comment on academic studies, such as a subject coordinator, school principal, etc.
- Submit a current version of your CV
This scholarship is valued at $5,000 for one year only. The successful scholarship recipient will also receive:
- the opportunity for a paid summer placement with SMEC and gain valuable industry experience in the engineering sector.
- the opportunity to work on real-world urban engineering projects at SMEC Urban Communities team as part of their Final Year project, as well as the potential for full-time employment following a successful placement.
How to apply
Applicants should complete an online application form and submit with all supporting documentation by 31 March 2023. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For assistance when completing your application, please view the Scholarship Application Help Guide.
All scholarships offered by Swinburne are governed by a set of conditions. Please visit our Scholarship Conditions page for further information.
Fees and Scholarships Team, Student Administration and Library Services