Len Bettess Memorial Scholarship
SMEC provides specialist expertise and technology-driven solutions across road, rail, aviation, greenfield communities, hydro and solar geotechnical and tunnelling, environmental and asset management.
SMEC has established the Len Bettess Memorial Scholarship In honour of a wonderful former colleague and Swinburne Alumnus. Len sadly passed away in 2018 but his legacy and passion for engineering will be recognised through this scholarship.
This scholarship provides $5,000 and aims to support students achieve their full academic potential by reducing the need to work outside of study to finance their study costs.
The successful scholarship recipient will also have the opportunity for a paid summer placement with SMEC and gain valuable industry experience in the engineering sector.
Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) offered by Swinburne University of Technology.
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible for the Len Bettess Memorial Scholarship, applicants must:
- Meet the following criteria:
- Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Residents or holders of an Australian Permanent Humanitarian visa
- Meet the following enrolment criteria:
- be a third year Swinburne student in Semester 1, 2021
- enrolled full-time in an eligible course (see courses eligible in section above)
- achieved a minimum Credit average in completed units
- Submit a personal statement of no more than 500 words addressing:
- Passion for a career in their chosen field of study
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills
- Leadership qualities
- Interested in industry work experience with SMEC
- Provide one referee reports outlining your suitability for the scholarship:
- an academic reference - from a person qualified to comment on academic studies, such as a subject coordinator.
This scholarship is valued at $5,000 for one year only. The recipient of this scholarship will also have the opportunity of a paid work placement at SMEC.
How to apply
Applicants should complete an online application form and submit with all supporting documentation by 14 March 2021. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For assistance when completing your application, please view the Scholarship Application Help Guide.
All scholarships offered by Swinburne are governed by a set of conditions. Please visit our Scholarship Conditions page for further information.
Scholarships & Orientation, Student Administration and Library Services