The Yeap Scholarship aims for recipients to develop a deeper understanding, engagement and appreciation of Asian cultures and opportunities. To achieve this, the scholarship offers students the opportunity to participate in a semester exchange to study at Swinburne's Sarawak campus, followed by a 4 to 12 week internship at a business based in Malaysia.
This opportunity will allow scholarship recipients to immerse themselves in the flavours and culture of Kuching, as well as the opportunity to live and socialise with local students whilst completing course subjects. Internships will be determined on a case-by-case basis for individual students.
Any undergraduate course offered by Swinburne University of Technology.
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible for the Yeap Scholarship, applicants must:
- Meet the following criteria
- Be an Australian citizen
- Be able to go on a semester exchange to Sarawak studying full time.
- Meet the following enrolment criteria:
- Be a continuing second or third year Swinburne student in Semester 1, 2024
- Must have completed 100 credit points towards current course (can include up to 50 credit points for prior learning recognised by Swinburne).
- Enrolled full-time in an eligible course (see courses eligible in section above)
- Studying on-campus or online
- Achieved a credit average for all completed units.
- Submit a personal statement (500 words) addressing the following points:
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills
- Leadership attributes
- Interest in the Asian region
- Provide evidence of extra-curricular service to community. Community service could include:
- Local government sponsored voluntary activity
- Work for a recognised charitable organisation
- Service with youth community organisations such as Scouts, Girl Guides, etc.
- Service through community sponsored sporting activities
This scholarship is valued at $10,000. There are two scholarships available to be awarded.
How to apply
Applicants should complete an online application form and submit with all supporting documentation by 31 March 2024. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For assistance when completing your application, please view the Scholarship Application Help Guide.
All scholarships offered by Swinburne are governed by a set of conditions. Please visit our Scholarship Conditions page for further information.
Fees and Scholarships Team, Student Administration and Library Services