Swinburne Student Emergency Fund (Phase 2)
Swinburne has established the Swinburne Student Emergency Fund to support all current Swinburne students who have been impacted by an emergency such as a bushfire, drought or health pandemic. This fund is generously supported by Swinburne University, the Pridmore Trust, The Pratt Foundation, The Beck Family Corporation and through donations from our valued donors, including Swinburne Staff.
At Swinburne, we want to create an inclusive, equitable and supportive environment for our students to thrive. The Student Emergency Fund will enable students that have been impacted by disasters such as bushfires, floods, droughts or a health pandemic to access financial support through a one-off grant of $500. We are committed to ensuring that all students with aspirations of higher education and training can succeed, regardless of circumstance.
Available to all onshore current students from all Swinburne courses.
Eligibility / selection criteria
If you have been impacted by disasters such as the Australian bushfires, floods or droughts or by a health pandemic and as such can demonstrate financial need, you may be eligible to access emergency funds.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be enrolled in study units in the current semester (studying onshore); and
- Provide a statement demonstrating the impact of the emergency on your studies. The statement should be limited to 500 words and address the following:
- Type of emergency;
- Impact on your studies;
- Anticipated duration of impact;
- Confirmation that you are not in receipt of any of the following government support payments: Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY, Austudy, Job Seeker or Job Keeper.* ; and
- Students must include bank account statement for one month prior to application (detailing all transactions).
Additionally, include any supporting documents, if available. This may include medical certificates, insurance claims, photographs, supporting statements from educators or employers.
*Students in receipt of federal government benefits, including Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY, Austudy, Job Seeker or Job Keeper are NOT eligible to apply for the Swinburne Student Emergency Fund.
Please note: Eligiblity Criteria are subject to change.
NOTE: If your application is successful, payment will be made via electronic transfer. In order to expediate the application and offer process, please assist us in recording your banking details in My Financials by following these instructions:
1. From the Swinburne website, click on Current Students and SIGN IN.
2. At the right hand side click on the link 'My Financials (pay fees)'.
3. Click on the tab that says 'My Financials (Fees)'.
4. At the left hand side, click on 'Bank Details'.
4. Follow the prompts to record your Australian bank account details.
A limited number of individual grants valued at $500 (one-time payment) are available.
How to apply
We encourage any onshore Swinburne student or aspiring student affected by an emergency such as a bushfire, drought or health pandemic to complete an online application form and submit with all supporting documentation to the Scholarships and Orientation team where our friendly staff can provide further assistance and support.
Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis.
Please note: due to the high volume of applications being received, the expected period of time to an outcome may be a minimum of 15 business days. Please do not submit multiple applications as this delays our processes.
Scholarships & Orientation, Student Administration and Library Services