Creature Technology Peter Luscombe Award
This prize has been created to inspire and reward an exceptional Swinburne student. The student will be able to apply the prize money towards travel, producation of a device, design or object or any pursuit that progresses their career.
This award is named in memory of Peter Luscombe, an innovator and risk taker whose drive, creativity, resourcefulness, and inventive nature led him to serve as Head of Engineering Fabrication at Creature Technology Company, based in Melbourne.
Peter’s ingenuity and relentless drive ensured that within 12 months a complete set of hyper-realistic, life-size, walking, roaring, ‘living' dinosaurs were ready for Walking with Dinosaurs – The Arena Spectacular. Creature Technology Company (CTC) has established this Award to acknowledge the immense contribution Peter made to the CTC family.
Higher Education degrees (Bachelors, Masters, Research Higher Degrees)
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible, applicants must:
- be Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen, Australian Permanent Resident, Australian Permanent Resident with Humanitarian visa.
- at the time of application, be enrolled in a Higher Education degree (Bachelors, Masters, Higher Degree by Research on any campus (including Hawthorn, Croydon, Wantirna, Melbourne (CBD), NICA). The recipient may be a student or a graduate at the time the project or travel is undertaken.
- provide evidence of credit average (undergraduate/postgraduate) or satisfactory progress (Higher Degrees by Research) in your current course of study.
- submit a personal statement of 500 words demonstrating the following:
- evidence of passion for mechatronics, or engineering, or product design, or puppetry, or other creative pursuits (making, inventing, creating);
- interest in a career in the entertainment or creative industries; and
- clear plan for the use of the prize funds. This plans may include:
- travel itinerary: include the people and places you will meet with; include confirmation of meeting or evidence of a request to meet;
- a product, device, design or object that you will be able to produce or realise with the prize; and
- any other pursuit or concept or activity that progresses your experiences and the next steps in your career that aligns with the creative and entertainment industries and the personal qualities of Peter Luscombe, “creativity, inventiveness, ingenuity, drive, and resourcefulness”.
This scholarship is valued at $5,000, with the possibility of work experience at the discretion of the prize donor. Recipients will be required to present outcomes from the activity to the donor(s) in person and in writing following on from the activities outlined in the successful recipient's application.
How to apply
The closing date for this prize has been extended.
Applicants should complete an online application form and submit with all supporting documentation by Sunday 31 May 2020. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For assistance when completing your application, please view the Scholarship Application Help Guide.
All scholarships offered by Swinburne are governed by a set of conditions. Please visit our Scholarship Conditions page for further information.
Scholarships & Orientation, Student Administration and Library Services