Charles D'Aprano Memorial Scholarship
Charles D’Aprano began his career as lecturer in 1971 in the newly formed Italian Department of Swinburne College of Technology. He contributed to the foundation of Victorian Association of Teachers of Italian (VATI) and actively supported the teaching of Italian in Victorian secondary schools. His greatest area of interest was in teaching Italian history, politics, the history of Italian migration to Australia and Italo-Australian literature. In memory of the late Charles D’Aprano, his family and friends have given Swinburne University their generous support and patronage in the form of a Scholarship.
The Charles D’Aprano Memorial Scholarship is administered in conjunction with the Italian Studies department of the Faculty of Health, Arts & Design and is designed to recognise and encourage academic achievement and leadership qualities. Its purpose is to assist a visionary student of Italian Studies to pursue their interest in a related area in Italy.
The aim of the scholarship is to provide opportunities for Swinburne students of Italian Studies to pursue their studies and/or research activities of their choice in Italy. The scholarship is designed to promote enthusiasm and creativity and encourage individuals to extend their interests in Italy and the Italian culture.
Any higher education course with a minor in Italian offered by Swinburne University of Technology.
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible for the Charles D'Aprano Memorial Scholarship, applicants must:
- Meet the following criteria:
- Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Resident, or New Zealand Citizen
- not be in receipt of another equivalent scholarship or award
- Meet the following enrolment criteria:
- enrolled full-time in an eligible course (see courses eligible in section above)
- achieved at least a credit average
- Be accepted into an International exchange program or equivalent (desired)
- Submit a personal statement (no more than 800 words) addressing the following points:
- provide a defined program or a research plan on a relevant topic of Italian culture to be undertaken in Italy;
- demonstrate a deep and realistic commitment to the Italian Studies at Swinburne University
- demonstrate an altruistic passion to make a substantial contribution to the benefit of others on your return from your study in Italy.
This scholarship is valued at $2,000 (one-off payment)
How to apply
Applications are closed.
All scholarships offered by Swinburne are governed by a set of conditions. Please visit our Scholarship Conditions page for further information.
Scholarships & Orientation, Student Administration and Library Services