Claire Sorati Scholarship for Women
The Claire Sorati Scholarship aims to support female students from disadvantaged backgrounds to undertake tertiary education in engineering, information and communication technologies or science.
Undergraduate degree offered by Swinburne University of Technology in the following disciplines:
- Information and communication technologies
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible for the Claire Sorati Scholarship for Women, applicants must:
- Meet the following criteria:
- Female student
- Australian citizen, or Australian permanent resident
- Meet the following enrolment criteria:
- be a commencing Swinburne student in Semester 1, 2022
- enrolled full-time in an eligible course (see courses eligible in section above)
- studying on-campus
- Provide evidence of having attended a government secondary school prior to commencing at Swinburne.
- Provide ATAR certificate or academic transcript of previous study
- Submit a personal Statement of 500 words or less addressing:
- educational disadvantage,
- commitment to study, including sound academic ability, career aspirations and a strong potential to complete the degree within minimum time; and
- benefit that the scholarship will provide the applicant.
- Provide evidence of financial need and/or educational disadvantage. Disadvantage may include:
- financial difficulty or low income (Centrelink statement, payslips. Bank statements can be used if an explanation is provided in a personal statement)
- disability or medical condition
- delay or interruption to career or studies because of family responsibilities or illness
- relocation from a rural or regional area in order to undertake tertiary study
- English as a second language
- identification as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- Provide two written references outlining your suitability for the scholarship:
- Academic reference - from a person qualified to comment on academic studies, such as a subject coordinator, school principal, etc.
- Character reference - from a person competent to supply a character reference such as a current or past employer. (Please note references cannot be supplied by a person related to you).
The scholarship is valued at $8000 a year for up to 4 years.
For scholarship holders who proceed to a fifth (5th) year of study, they will be required to apply for a fifth (5th) year scholarship extension indicating their results to date, current financial circumstances, career aspirations, and include a reference from one of their lecturers or tutors.
How to apply
Applications will re-open in August 2022.
For assistance when completing your application, please view the Scholarship Application Help Guide.
All scholarships offered by Swinburne are governed by a set of conditions. Please visit our Scholarship Conditions page for further information.
Fees and Scholarships Team, Student Administration and Library Services