Claire Sorati Scholarship for Women
The Claire Sorati Scholarship aims to support female students from disadvantaged backgrounds to undertake tertiary education in engineering, information and communication technologies or science.
Undergraduate degree in engineering, information and communication technologies or science
Eligibility / selection criteria
- be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident
- be a female commencing full-time in an on-campus single or double undergraduate degree course in engineering, information and communication technologies or science in Swinburne in Semester 1, 2018
- provide evidence of having attended a government secondary school prior to commencing at Swinburne.
- provide evidence of financial need and/or educational disadvantage. Disadvantage may include:
- financial difficulty or low income
- disability or medical condition
- delay or interruption to career or studies because of family responsibilities or illness
- relocation from a rural or regional area in order to undertake tertiary study
- English as a second language
- identification as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- rural and regional students who have relocated
- provide ATAR or previous academic records
- provide a personal Statement of 500 words or less describing:
- educational disadvantage,
- commitment to study, including sound academic ability, career aspirations and a strong potential to complete the degree within minimum time; and
- benefit that the scholarship will provide the applicant.
- provide two referee reports outlining the applicant’s suitability for the scholarship:
- Academic reference - from a person qualified to comment on academic studies, preferably a subject coordinator from the applicant’s secondary school and/or a school principal.
- Character reference - from a current or past employer or a person competent to supply a character reference (Please note references cannot be supplied by a person related to you).
The scholarship is valued at $8000 a year for up to 4 years.
For scholarship holders who proceed to a fifth (5th) year of study, they will be required to apply for a fifth (5th) year scholarship extension indicating their results to date, current financial circumstances, career aspirations, and include a reference from one of their lecturers or tutors.
How to apply
Applicants must complete and submit an online application form and all supporting documentation by Thursday 31 of January.
Scholarships & Orientation, Student Administration and Library Services