Emergency or sudden financial hardship grants
This grant can help you if you face an unexpected event that causes you significant financial hardship.
You can only apply for this grant if you or your family have a low income (for example, you or your family receive Centrelink benefits).
This is a one-off grant, meaning you can only receive it once while you are studying at Swinburne. This grant is funded by the Australian Government’s Higher Education Participation and Partnership Program.
Available to students studying any course at undergraduate degree, associate degree or Unilink level.
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible you must meet the following criteria::
- a local student (an Australian citizen, permanent resident, humanitarian visa holder/New Zealand citizen);
- enrolled in an undergraduate degree, associate degree or UniLink level course at Swinburne;
- enrolled full-time ( exceptional circumstances for studying part-time will be considered in);
- demonstrate that you are from a low socio-economic background (e.g. you or your family are in receipt of or eligible for Centrelink payments);
- experiencing an unexpected event that is causing you significant financial hardship.
Previous recipients of this grant are ineligible to apply for it again.
If you are a Swinburne Online or Open Universities Australia student, you can apply if you are on a Commonwealth Supported Place and meet the above criteria.
Up to $1000.
How to apply
To apply for this grant you need to complete and send the attached application form and all supporting documentation to your local campus Housing and Finance Adviser. Postal address and drop off details are listed in Contact Section below.
Supporting documentation including:
- Confirmation of your enrolment;
- Bank statements for all your bank accounts for the last three months (which list all your current transactions and current balances);
- Current Centrelink Income Statement outlining what you are receiving for the year;
- Pay slips for the last 6 weeks (if you are working);
- All utility bills;
- Rent agreement or lease.
Housing and Finance Advisers
Drop Off point:
Beth Graham, Housing and Finance Adviser
C/- Student HQ, Level 2, BA Building
Housing and Finance Adviser. Swinburne University, PO Box 218 (H7)
Hawthorn, VIC 3122
Wantirna: Glenda Rebeiro, 03 9210 1905
Drop Off point:
Finance and Housing Office, WA 117
Glenda Reberio, Finance and Housing. Swinburne University, Wantirna Campus,
369 Stud Road Wantirna, VIC 3152