Public transport grants (one year of travel)

Applications are open   Local students   Current students

This grant entitles you to a Myki card for public transport valued at $635 (for concession travel in 2018). These grants are funded by the Australian Government’s Higher Education Participation and Partnership Program.

Courses eligible

Available to students studying any course at an undergraduate, associate degree or UniLink level.

Eligibility / selection criteria

To be eligible you must meet all the following criteria:

  • on campus local student  (Australian citizen/permanent resident/permanent humanitarian Visa holder/New Zealand citizen);
  • enrolled in an undergraduate degree, associate degree or UniLink level course at Swinburne;
  • enrolled full time (exceptional circumstances for studying part-time will be considered);
  • demonstrate that you are from a low socio-economic background (e.g. you or your parents are in receipt of or eligible for Centrelink payments);
  • experiencing significant financial hardship and struggling to meet basic living costs;.
  • the holder of a Low Income Health Care Card or Public Transport Victoria student concession card.



Multiple grants are available.

How to apply

Applicants must complete and submit an online application form and all supporting documentation by Sunday, 18 March 2018.

Supporting documentation

  • A copy of your payslips for the last month, to verify your income;
  • A copy of last month’s bank statements (1st January 2018 onwards) for all your bank accounts to verify your current savings;
  • A copy of your partner’s payslips for the last month to verify their income;
  • A copy of the most recent Centrelink payments received by either you or your spouse/partner and children to verify your receipt of Centrelink payments;
  • If you are under 22 years of age a copy of each parent or guardian’s recent Tax Assessment Notice or payslips for the last months and/or their Centrelink statements to verify their income;
  • A copy of your Public Transport Victoria Student Concession Card or Low Income Health Care Card to receive a concession Myki Card;
  • If you have a  disability or medical condition or mental illness that impacts on your study documentation from the AccessAbility Service confirming that you are registered with them, or a letter from a relevant health professional outlining your condition.


Equity Project Officer
Student Equity