The Swinburne Philanthropy and Social Impact Alumni Dr Christopher Baker Memorial Scholarship
The Swinburne Philanthropy and Social Impact Alumni (SPSIA) is a group of past and present students who are passionate about philanthropy and social impact. SPSIA has named this scholarship in honour of the late Dr Christopher Baker to recogise his significant contribution to the community and philanthropy and social investment sector.
SPSIA will provide one $10,000 scholarship to a student currently enrolled in the Master of Social Impact or the Graduate Certificate of Social Impact course intending to articulate to the Master of Social Impact course. The Master of Social Impact arms students with the skills needed to become an agent of social change through a social enterprise or from inside an organisation.
This scholarship is made possible from alumni donations and in partnership with the Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation.
Students must be currently enrolled in the Master of Social Impact or the Graduate Certificate of Social Impact with the intention of articulating into the Master of Social Impact - with completion of at least one subject.
The Master of Social Impact arms you with the skills you need to become an agent of social change through a social enterprise of your own or from inside the organisation you work for. Dig deep into the complex social, environmental and economic challenges facing business and society.
Open to part-time and full-time students.
Eligibility / selection criteria
- Be an Australian Citizen, Australian permanent resident or holder of a permanent humanitarian visa.
- enrolled full-time or part-time in an eligible course (see courses eligible in section above)
- Work within or leads a social purpose-driven organisation which has a focus on social impact, OR intends to work in the social purpose sector and currently transitioning from another sector.
- provide two referee reports outlining your suitability for the scholarship:
- an academic reference - from a person qualified to comment on academic studies, such as a subject coordinator, school principal, etc.
- a character reference - from a person competent to supply a character reference such as a current or past employer.
- In a personal statement of no more than 500 words, outline your leadership goals in the sector by providing answers to the following questions:
- how do you expect the Master of Social Impact will support your goals to contribute to the social purpose sector? (250 words)
- what do you hope to achieve with your career in the social impact sector? (250 words) OR
- if you are new to the sector, please tell us about you previous volunteering and/or other efforts that demonstrate the link between your existing/past endeavours and being part of the social purpose sector (250 words)
The scholarship is valued at $10,000 for one year, paid bi-annually.
How to apply
Applications are currently closed.
All scholarships offered by Swinburne are governed by a set of conditions. Please visit our Scholarship Conditions page for further information.
Scholarships and Orientation, Student Administration and Library Services