Piers Fowler Professional Undergraduate Research Grant
Piers Fowler was an integral part of general and commercial aviation in Australia for over 20 years. Piers combined his love of both aviation and teaching and displayed skill and commitment in all areas of his endeavours. He was a colleague and friend to many at Swinburne. Therefore we are honoured that Piers’ family, through the Piers Fowler Trust, are considering the establishment of a range of initiatives to recognise Piers’ contribution to aviation and his time at Swinburne, first as a student and then a teacher, to continue what he liked to do most – share the skills and learning of aviation with other pilots. This scholarship is to reflect Piers’ own endeavours and achievements in his early aviation career.
The Piers Fowler Undergraduate Research Grant is awarded to capstone research project teams to conduct a rigorous scientific study in their final year of study. In this project unit, students are equipped with skills and knowledge and are encouraged to conduct applied aviation studies using either primary or secondary data. Past projects from this unit have been accepted to be presented at major international conferences and have been published in peer-reviewed academic research journals.
Single or double undergraduate degree program in Aviation offered by Swinburne University.
Eligibility / selection criteria
- be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa
- be a current final year student studying full-time in the single or double undergraduate degree in Aviation offered by Swinburne University
- be enrolled in the Aviation Research Project Part I (AVA40004) or Part II (AVA40005), OR, Aviation Business Research Project Part 1 (ACA40006) or Aviation Business Research Project Part 2 (AVA40007)
- be part of a three to five member project team
- have achieved a credit average for all completed units (all members in the team)
- submit a research proposal detailing methodology to be used by the project and a justification for the grant support
- Submit a 500 word personal statement explaining reasons for applying for this scholarship and details of financial hardship, if applicable.
This scholarship is valued at $1000.
Each scholarship recipient will be given the opportunity of an industry mentor.
How to apply
Applicants will re-open 25th June 2018.
Scholarships and Prizes, Student Administration