Piers Fowler Professional Undergraduate Research Grant
Piers Fowler was an integral part of general and commercial aviation in Australia for over 20 years. Piers combined his love of both aviation and teaching and displayed skill and commitment in all areas of his endeavours. He was a colleague and friend to many at Swinburne. Therefore we are honoured that Piers’ family, through the Piers Fowler Trust, are considering the establishment of a range of initiatives to recognise Piers’ contribution to aviation and his time at Swinburne, first as a student and then a teacher, to continue what he liked to do most – share the skills and learning of aviation with other pilots. This scholarship is to reflect Piers’ own endeavours and achievements in his early aviation career.
The Piers Fowler Undergraduate Research Grant is awarded to capstone research project teams to conduct a rigorous scientific study in their final year of study. In this project unit, students are equipped with skills and knowledge and are encouraged to conduct applied aviation studies using either primary or secondary data. Past projects from this unit have been accepted to be presented at major international conferences and have been published in peer-reviewed academic research journals.
Single or double undergraduate Aviation course offered by Swinburne University of Technology.
Eligibility / selection criteria
Each applicant must be part of a three to five member project team and only 1 application is required per project team.
To be eligible for the Piers Fowler Professional Undergraduate Research Grant, the applicant must:
- Meet the folliowing criteria:
- be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa
- Submit a research proposal detailing methodology to be used by the project and a justification for the grant support
- Submit a 500 word personal statement explaining reasons for applying for this scholarship and details of financial hardship, if applicable.
Each project team member must:
- Meet the following enrolment criteria:
- be a continuing Swinburne student in Semester 1, 2022
- enrolled full-time in an eligible course (see courses eligible in section above)
- enrolled in one of the following units:
This scholarship is valued at $1000 for one year. There are 2 scholarships available to be awarded.
Each scholarship recipient will be given the opportunity of an industry mentor.
How to apply
Applications are closed.
All scholarships offered by Swinburne are governed by a set of conditions. Please visit our Scholarship Conditions page for further information.
Fees and Scholarships Team, Student Administration and Library Services