Piers Fowler Aviation Tour Scholarship
The Piers Fowler Aviation Tour Scholarship is awarded to students undertaking the Aviation Study Tour (AVA20012) to support their airfares on this tour. The study tour is offered every two years and requires students to participate in a 15-30 day industry tour which provides students with a fascinating insight into the aviation industry. It gives them an opportunity to engage with the industry by visiting a number of major international organisations in key areas of the aviation industry.
Piers Fowler was an integral part of general and commercial aviation in Australia for over 20 years. Piers combined his love of both aviation and teaching and displayed skill and commitment in all areas of his endeavours. He was a colleague and friend to many at Swinburne. Therefore we are honoured that Piers’ family, through the Piers Fowler Trust, are considering the establishment of a range of initiatives to recognise Piers’ contribution to aviation and his time at Swinburne, first as a student and then a teacher, to continue what he liked to do most – share the skills and learning of aviation with other pilots. This scholarship is to reflect Piers’ own endeavours and achievements in his early aviation career
Single or double undergraduate Aviation courses* offered by Swinburne University of Technology including:
- Bachelor of Aviation
- Bachelor of Aviation Management
- Bachelor of Aviation/Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Aviation Management/Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Aviation Management
*Students must be undertaking unit Aviation Study Tour (AVA20012).
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible for the Piers Fowler Aviation Tour Scholarship, applicants must:
- Meet the following criteria:
- be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa
- Meet the following enrolment critieria:
- be a continuing Swinburne student in Semester 1, 2021
- enrolled full-time in an eligible course (see courses eligible in section above)
- meet the prerequisites of the Aviation Study Tour (AV20012)
- be selected to participate in the Aviation Study Tour in 2021
- achieve a credit average for all completed units
- Demonstrate financial need
- Demonstrate the benefit of the study tour and the scholarship
The scholarship is valued at $5000 (One-off payment). Each scholarship recipient will be given the opportunity of an industry mentor.
How to apply
No applications are required for this scholarship. Eligible student/s will be shortlisted based on their request to participate in the Aviation Study Tour (AVA20012). Students who are shortlisted for the Aviation Tour will be invited to submit a personal statement of no more than 500 words outlining:
- How they are experiencing financial hardship, and
- How this study tour and the scholarship are going to benefit them.
Scholarship recipient/s will be selected when students confirm a place in the study tour in accordance with the eligibility and selection criteria contained in these guidelines.
All scholarships offered by Swinburne are governed by a set of conditions. Please visit our Scholarship Conditions page for further information.
Scholarships and Orientation, Student Administration and Library Services