Medibank Comprehensive OSHC
Medibank is Swinburne's preferred provider of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). A Medibank Comprehensive OSHC policy is purchased for students by Swinburne.
Medibank is Australia’s leading health insurance provider with extensive experience providing health cover to international students studying in Australia, so you can have confidence for your stay.
Having and maintaining suitable OSHC is a condition of your overseas student visa.
Benefits of the Medibank Comprehensive OSHC policy include:
- 100% Student Visa compliant
- Unlimited emergency Ambulance cover#
- Access to a student health and support line 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for any health question
- Memberships for singles, couples and families
- Helps pay towards a range of in-hospital (e.g. tonsillectomy) and out of hospital (e.g. GP visits) services*
- Extras cover can be purchased separately for services such as remedial massage, optical and dental**
Please note: there may be out of pocket expenses.
#For ambulance attendance and transportation to a hospital where immediate professional attention is required and your medical condition is such that you couldn’t be transported any other way.
*Waiting periods and exclusions apply.
**Waiting periods, annual limits and exclusions apply.
The Comprehensive policy offers students three types of cover:
- Single policy: covers only the valid student visa holder
- Couple policy: covers one valid student visa holder plus either one adult spouse or recognised de facto partner
- Family policy: covers one student visa holder plus more than one dependant – this can only include one adult spouse or recognised de facto partner, and one or more dependent children aged under 18.
Activating your policy
A welcome email will be sent to your Swinburne student email (your student email is your 9-digit student ID @student.swin.edu.au) with instructions on how to activate your Medibank OSHC policy when you arrive in Australia. You will need the following documents to activate your policy:
- Your policy certificate (sent to your email)
- Your Passport
- Your Certificate of Enrolment (CoE)
You will be asked to confirm and update your personal details as part of activating your policy.
Once complete, you will be able to access Medibank’s Online Member Services (OMS).
You will receive a thank you email after you have activated your policy with a link to a digital membership card. You can download and save your digital card to your photo library on your mobile phone.
You will also receive a plastic membership card. This will automatically be posted to your Australian address and will arrive within 10-business days.
A Medibank representative is available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 10am to 4pm in Hawthorn Library, LB Building Level 2, Off John Street, Hawthorn
The representative can help you to:
- answer questions about your OSHC
- make a claim
- order your OSHC membership card online
- renew your policy
- add extras cover (dental, optical, physiotherapy)
Fact sheets, claim forms, and general information are available from studentHQ when the Medibank representative is not on campus, or you can contact Medibank on 134 148 and speak to an OSHC advisor.
Your Medibank OSHC also includes phone advice if you are unwell, and can provide legal advice, with interpreting services available.
If you have questions about your cover, your claim or if you need to go to hospital for an overnight stay, you can contact Medibank:
- Visit the on-campus representative
- Call 134 148
- Email email@example.com
- Visit Medibank OSHC website
- Access 24/7 student health and support line