Overseas Student Health Cover
All international students on a student visa must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). This cover provides medical and hospital insurance. You and your dependants must maintain suitable OSHC for the duration of your visa and must not arrive in Australia before your health insurance starts.
Having valid OSHC is a condition of your student visa. Breaches of your student visa conditions may incur serious consequences.
You do not need OSHC if you are:
- a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia
- a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
- a Swedish student covered by the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet
Applying for cover
To apply for OSHC, complete the relevant section of your Offer Acceptance Form and include payment for your cover when you pay your deposit. Swinburne will then purchase OSHC for you.
Medibank Private is the preferred OSHC provider at Swinburne.
Medibank Comprehensive OSHC policy
A Medibank Comprehensive OSHC policy is purchased for students by Swinburne.
Medibank is Australia’s leading health insurance provider with extensive experience providing health cover to international students studying in Australia, so you can have confidence for your stay.
- 100% Student Visa compliant
- Unlimited emergency Ambulance cover#
- Access to a student health and support line 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for any health question
- Memberships for singles, couples and families
- Helps pay towards a range of in-hospital (e.g. tonsillectomy) and out of hospital (e.g. GP visits) services*
- Extras cover can be purchased separately for services such as remedial massage, optical and dental**
Please note: there may be out of pocket expenses.
#For ambulance attendance and transportation to a hospital where immediate professional attention is required and your medical condition is such that you couldn’t be transported any other way.
*Waiting periods and exclusions apply.
**Waiting periods, annual limits and exclusions apply.
The Comprehensive policy offers students three types of cover:
- Single policy: covers only the valid student visa holder
- Couple policy: covers one valid student visa holder plus either one adult spouse or recognised de facto partner
- Family policy: covers one student visa holder plus more than one dependant – this can only include one adult spouse or recognised de facto partner, and one or more dependent children aged under 18.
Length of cover
You must obtain OSHC for the proposed duration of your student visa. You must not arrive in Australia before your health insurance starts. If you undertake more than one course as part of a packaged offer, your OSHC must be valid from the day you arrive in Australia for the duration of your packaged course visa.
Your Letter of Offer will list how much your OSHC will cost for a single, couple and family policy based on the duration of your course(s). This should be paid with your deposit when you submit your Offer Acceptance Form.
You should indicate the required policy on your Offer Acceptance Form. You will then be required to pay the cost for your chosen policy when you pay your deposit.
Activating your policy
A welcome email will be sent to your Swinburne student email (your student email is your 9-digit student ID @student.swin.edu.au) with instructions on how to activate your Medibank OSHC policy when you arrive in Australia. You will need the following documents to activate your policy:
- Your policy certificate (sent to your email)
- Your Passport
- Your Certificate of Enrolment (CoE)
You will be asked to confirm and update your personal details as part of activating your policy.
Once complete, you will be able to access Medibank’s Online Member Services (OMS).
You will receive a thank you email after you have activated your policy with a link to a digital membership card. You can download and save your digital card to your photo library on your mobile phone.
You will also receive a plastic membership card. This will automatically be posted to your Australian address and will arrive within 10-business days.
If you already have OSHC, you must provide evidence of visa-length cover. This means that you must be able to show that you have OSHC for the proposed duration of your student visa – from the beginning of your first course until you complete your principal (final) course.
Allianz Global Assistance OSHC
If your existing OSHC cover is with our previous provider, Allianz Global Assistance, you can access support the following ways:
- Visit Allianz CBD Location level 5 360 Elizabeth Street Melbourne CBC (Monday to Friday, 10.30 to 3.30pm)
- Website: www.allianzassistancehealth.com.au
- By telephone 13 OSHC (13 67 42)
- By email: email@example.com
You must maintain valid OSHC for the duration of your student visa. If you have transferred from another institution and your cover will expire before you complete your principal (final) course at Swinburne, you must renew your OSHC before your current cover expires. Your OSHC membership card shows the expiry date of your cover.
Commencing 18 October, 2017 Swinburne University commenced an agreement with Medibank OSHC as our preferred provider of services to overseas students.
There are a several ways you can renew your Medibank Comprehensive OSHC:
- Visit the on-campus representative at Hawthorn campus
- Online (credit card payments)
- By telephone - call 134 148 (credit card payments)
You must remember to have your OSHC membership card with you when you renew your OSHC.
If you need help
A Medibank representative will be available on campus from 9 January at the Swinburne International counter at studentHQ, SPW Building, Hawthorn campus.
The representative will be available from 10am to 4pm on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and can help you to:
- answer questions about your OSHC
- make a claim
- order your OSHC membership card online
- renew your policy
- add extras cover (dental, optical, physiotherapy)
Fact sheets, claim forms, and general information are available from studentHQ when the Medibank representative is not on campus, or you can contact Medibank on 134 148 and speak to an OSHC advisor.
Medibank is here for you. If you have questions about your cover, your claim or if you need to go to hospital for an overnight stay, you can contact Medibank:
- Visit the on-campus representative
- Call 134 148
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit www.medibankoshc.com.au
- 24/7 student health support https://www.medibankoshc.com.au/6672/Emergency-Helpline
Explore these pages to understand your cover
Your Medibank OSHC also includes phone advice if you are unwell, and can provide legal advice, with interpreting services available.
Activate or log in for your cover advice: https://www.medibankoshc.com.au/oshc/oshc
Understand Australia’s health system: https://www.medibank.com.au/overseas-health-insurance/australian-health-system/
Quick checklist or cover summary .pdf: https://www.medibank.com.au/overseas-health-insurance/oshc/essentials-oshc/