- One semester or equivalent
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2023 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 1
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
PrerequisitesAdmission into: MA-DESG Master of Design
300 credit points in one of the following: BH-DESCMN2 Bachelor of Design (Communication Design) (Hons) or BH-DESIND1 Bachelor of Design (Industrial Design) (Hons) or BH-DESINA Bachelor of Design (Interior Architecture) (Hons)
Aims and objectives
This unit builds creative confidence; advancing skills in design thinking, innovation mind-set, prototyping and developing holistic design solutions, while exploring theories and ethics underpinning design innovation practices. It features industry and/or Design Factory Global Network partnerships. DFM Applied Innovation units work in unison, where a dynamic learning plan guides authentic learning experiences; such as sprints, workshops, in-depth projects and internships. Students explore professional capabilities; scaffolding mastering of design activities, research-led design, being a collaborative designer, and design facilitation and/or leadership. Working on diverse challenges gives students opportunity to identify areas they may specialise in design fields.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Interpret relevant data and design research insights to provide a rationale for design decisions.
2. Critique theories underpinning various design innovation practices.
3. Create prototypes that are relevant to various stages of the innovation process.
4. Formulate visualisations and storytelling narrative to communicate the value and intent of a design solution.
5. Develop holistic design solutions covering technical, economic and human considerations in response to complex project briefs.
6. Support conditions for innovation culture as a team member through inclusive project management, empathy and open-mindset.
7. Conduct techniques relevant to coaching design innovation activities.