- Study at Swinburne > Find a course > Graduate Certificate in Applied Business
Graduate Certificate in Applied Business
This course is delivered in fast-track mode for working professionals
The emerging leaders of an organisation is critical to its succession planning and ability to innovate. This Graduate Certificate in Applied Business qualification is for managers who will be mentored for future C-suite roles.
This course gives participants the skills to investigate and analyse complex situations, innovate, problem solve, manage projects, communicate effectively at the highest levels, and lead change management.
Participants in the Graduate Certificate in Applied Business are able to substantially step-up their performance and abilities and move their career to more senior positions. This qualification is also a bridge to their eligibility to apply for MBA-level programs and formalise their experience to date with an accredited qualification.
This qualification focuses on real world, relevant global contexts. It is a practical program with projects and assignments you can integrate into your existing role or organisation. Undergoing the program gives you skills and tools you can use immediately and encourages you to think differently.
This Graduate Certificate course enables pathway into Master-level (MBA) programs, has alliance with Chartered Management Institute (CMI) and attracts benefits from the Institute of Managers and Leaders (IML). Read more information under Course Benefits section.
Who should attend?
This qualification is suitable for management professionals seeking to develop their business capabilities and move their career along the C-Suite fast-track, as well as professionals seeking to enter an MBA program who need to increase their experience and qualifications first.
6 to 12 months (starting monthly)View dates on timetable
Part-time, Face-to-face, Live online, workplace
Graduate Certificate in Applied Business
Download this course brochure for more information about the qualification, and a detailed breakdown of the course units. This can also be given to your employer to pitch for funding or support of your program.
Swinburne Live Online Short Courses and Qualifications
Our Live Online training is delivered to you live, providing similar interactions as face to face training with the benefits of remote access. The training is delivered through video conferencing and discussion board platforms. Workshops are broken into interactive video sessions, including presentations and distribution of materials and discussion board based activities.
Our Live Online delivery
Our Live Online delivery is a dynamic, engaging and interactive way to learn remotely. It’s just like face to face but with the added benefits of digital technology. Your facilitator will present in real-time, and you will be able to participate in group discussions and collaborate on exercises and group activities using our interactive platforms.
Find out more about what we offer >>
- Course delivery, learning objectives and benefits.
To achieve the full Graduate Certificate in Applied Business qualification, participants are required to successfully complete four units comprising two core units, plus two elective units from the general electives.
Live Online delivery is just like face to face but with the added benefits of digital technology. Your facilitator will present in real-time, and you will be able to participate in group discussions and collaborate on exercises and group activities using our interactive platforms.
Students will be given six weeks to complete their assessment(s) and will submit assessments online via Swinburne’s e-Learning system, Canvas.
Assessor Guidance Session
Each unit of the program embeds a personalised guidance session tailored to the learner’s needs. This key checkpoint in the blended framework provides the opportunity to clarify understanding, ask questions, and ensures learners are on track for successful course completion.
This course (or units from it) can be tailored to industry delivery within the workplace for groups of eight or more students. Students may enrol in the course at any stage during the year. Students have the chance to select from a range of dates for elective units to determine the duration of their course.
The Graduate Certificate in Applied Business program aims to ensure participants learn how to:
- Learn transformational and collaborative practices and strategic leadership.
- Provide strategic leadership during times of dynamic change.
- Develop a change process with a clear rationale for the change and its objectives.
- Learn how to source financial data, liaise and negotiate with stakeholders, create financial management systems, manage costs, and be able to change track when unforeseen events occur.
- Develop skills for creating a culture of innovative thinking and practice from the top down.
- Manage complex situations with a high level of innovation and problem solving.
- Develop strategic skills necessary to develop and implement a successful operational plan.
Pathway to MBA (Master of Business Administration)
Based on unit selection, this course provides a pathway to the following post graduate courses:
For more information about these pathways, please contact our Customer Development Advisors on 1800 633 560 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chartered Management Institute
The Chartered Management Institute (CMI) is a chartered professional body dedicated to promoting the highest standards in management and leadership excellence.
Professionals who successfully complete the assessment for the Lead strategic transformation unit as part of the Graduate Certificate in Applied Business will qualify for the internationally recognised Level 7 Strategic Leadership Certificate and access to the Chartered Manager designation – the highest level of leadership recognition, via the Institute’s alliance with CMI UK.
A CMI designation can increase employability, is internationally recognised, can open doors to making stronger professional connections, and can improve management skills and strategic thinking via the ongoing Continuing Professional Development (CPD) process.
Institute of Managers and Leaders (IML)
The Institute of Managers and Leaders (IML) has been supporting leaders and managers for over 75 years by offering professional accreditations (Chartered Manager), events, business tools, online resources and more.
Participants who enrol into the Lead strategic transformation unit automatically gain access to an affiliate Membership to the IML for the duration of their studies (up to 5 years) plus 12 months.
IML membership offers a raft of professional benefits, which include:
- Access to the national annual calendar of events, including a selection of Member-only events, offering both skills development and networking.
- Online access to thousands of full text journals, including Harvard Business Review and McKinsey Quarterly.
- The ability to use internationally recognised professional manager designation and IML post-nominals that will stand out on your resume, LinkedIn profile and professional communications tools.
- Online access to Leadership Direct, delivering best practice contemporary theories, resources and qualified strategies in leadership and management for just in time professional development, as well as learning journeys to assist in the delivery of university content.
- Digital access to Leadership Matters and Insight Edge, a set of print and digital magazines that report on cutting edge global leadership news and management trends.
- Access to IML member lounges in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney, and meeting rooms and free Wi-Fi at locations across Australia (excluding WA).
- Member only pricing for IML’s people analytics tools including 360 degree feedback.
- Preferential rates for events, courses, qualifications, consulting and research services, and products such as the National Salary Survey.
Benefits of this Graduate Certificate in Applied Business course
- Be able to handle complex situations by creating and implementing a plan of action.
- Communicate and negotiate at the highest levels, becoming an influencer across stakeholders and teams.
- Be able to define needs and recommend solutions that will achieve change.
- Create and promote a culture of continuous improvement.
- Manage projects of importance to their successful conclusions and in alignment with business objectives.
- Confidentially apply innovation and problem-solving skills to manage complex situations
- Professionals who successfully complete the assessment for the Lead Personal and Strategic Transformation unit as part of the Graduate Certificate will qualify for the internationally recognised Level 7 Strategic Leadership Certificate and access to the Chartered Manager designation – the highest level of leadership recognition, via the Institute’s alliance with Chartered Management Institute UK. More information is listed below.
- Participants who enrol into the Lead strategic transformation unit automatically gain access to an affiliate Membership (IMLa) to the Institute of Managers and Leaders for the duration of their studies (up to five years) plus 12 months. More information is listed below.
- Pathway to a Master of Business Administration
What to expect
- Networking opportunities with other working professionals.
- Access to industry experts who facilitate the workshops.
- Rolling monthly intakes.
- Program materials and manuals are used in the workshops. These double as take-home resources.
- Access to Customer Development Advisors to discuss further study options - to book an appointment call 1800 633 560.
- Live Online delivery available in the following states and territories – Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Tasmania.
Swinburne student benefits
1. Convenient Live Online delivery
Our unique Live Online training is delivered to you live, providing similar interactions as face to face training with the benefits of remote access. Our courses offer the same great quality course and human connection that our classroom delivery does from the comfort of your own home.
2. Be supported throughout every stage of your professional development journey
From initial enquiry through to graduation, our team will support students and offer the tools and guidance necessary for completing course requirements. Enjoy access to an Assessor guidance session to discuss assessment requirements and due dates. Every assessment you complete throughout your course will provide practical real-time learning.
3. Receive a practical tool kit and resources that can be used in the workplace
You will not need to purchase any additional textbooks as we provide comprehensive workbooks written specifically for each course. This means that content is 100% relevant. Receive the real time benefits of our tailored participant manuals, tools for assessments, and practical techniques and templates. The skills and resources that you gain can be implemented straight into the workplace during the course of your learning.
4. More one-on-one time to focus on individual needs
Capacity-restricted workshops provide Facilitators with the time to focus on individual needs and more one-on-one time. Unlike self-paced asynchronous online learning, workshop participants receive an interactive experience designed for asking questions and undergoing group discussions alongside learning peers.
5. Access to expert facilitators
To maintain their currency in knowledge for the courses and qualifications they deliver, Swinburne’s expert facilitators go above and beyond requirements set by the vocational educational training sector. As such, all facilitators undergo relevant professional development, attend industry conferences, read journals and industry newsletters, and engage with employers and trade unions to ensure they remain appropriately informed.
6. Swinburne discounts, benefits, and services
Swinburne’s student support services are available to offer you the care and support you need to have the best student life you can. Whilst studying with Swinburne, our students are provided access to a broad range of health and well being services, some of which can be accessed online. As a part of the Swinburne Alumni Community, enjoy access to a wide range of services and special offers, including a 15% discount for Swinburne Professional short courses. Please contact us for further information about this discount.
7. Swinburne’s commitment to sustainability and diversity
Driven by our dedication to sustainability, Swinburne procure 100% renewable electricity; bringing us one step closer to our goal of being carbon neutral by 2025. To support the mental, physical and emotional well being of its community, Swinburne also offer comprehensive professional health and medical services to its students and staff. Visit the Strategies and Initiatives and Giving to Swinburne pages to read more about Swinburne’s efforts to embrace sustainability, cross-cultural partnerships, diversity and equal opportunity.
- Fees for 2023.
A VET Student Loan is available for this course – allowing you to defer part of your fees if you're eligible.
The maximum VET Student Loan amount for this course is $16,077. You must start repaying this loan once you earn above the compulsory repayment threshold.
Graduate Certificate in Applied Business
Estimated course fees for 2023*
|You will need to pay this amount if you do not receive a VET Student Loan||$3,425 per unit - Total $13,700 for the full qualification|
|You will need to pay this amount if you do receive a VET Student Loan||$0|
Employer sponsored training
Many organisations are more than willing to help employees build on their skills and knowledge through professional development opportunities. In some circumstances, employers may be able to assist you in your professional development by sponsoring all or part of your fees.
The following documents can assist you with this process:
Find out more about fees.
How to enter this course
- Entry requirements, credit transfer and recognition of prior learning.
Standard entry - A recognised bachelor degree as well as three years of managerial work experience.
Non-graduate entry - A recognised diploma as well as five years of managerial work experience.
Credit is granted in recognition of previous study and allows students to gain advanced standing towards their course. Applicants are assessed on a case-by-case basis. Learn more about credit.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) allows students to gain credit (advanced standing) towards their course in recognition of skills and knowledge gained through work experience, life experience and/or formal training. Applicants are assessed on a case-by-case basis. Learn more about RPL.
Enquire and enrol
- How to enquire and enrol in this course.
Register your interest
To register your interest and request an application form or to submit an enquiry, please fill in your details below and press submit. Alternatively, you can call us on 1800 633 560, or email us at email@example.com with the relevant information.
Arrangements can be made for group bookings.
- Timetables, course brochures and further information.
2022 Graduate Certificate in Applied Business - Timetable
Download this timetable planner as part of your registration.
2023 Graduate Certificate in Applied Business - Timetable
Download this timetable planner as part of your registration.
Course outline - Graduate Certificate in Applied Business
Download this document as a quick outline of the course that can be printed and presented to your employer.
Find out more
Make an enquiry
Make an enquiry
To register your interest and request an application form or to submit an enquiry, please fill in your details below and press submit.
Training Organisation Identifier (TOID): 3059