Master of Science (Biotechnology)
Blended learning – on-campus and digital learning
2 years full-time or 4 years part-time
Hawthorn (Semester 1, Semester 2) - View application and start dates
- Part-time (day)
2023 Start Dates
2024 Start Dates
Course information in detail
- Course detail, course structure and units of study.
- 10 core units (125 credit points)
- 6 elective units (75 credit points)
- 6 elective units of 12.5 credit points each
- 4 elective units of 12.5 credit points each and 1 elective unit of 25 credit points
The maximum level of credit that can be granted for the Master of Science (Biotechnology) is 100 credit points (normally eight units)
Units of study
Careers and graduate outcomes
- Career opportunities, course aims and objectives, graduate skills and professional recognition.
Aims and objectives
- Are capable in their chosen professional, vocational or study areas;
- Operate effectively in work and community situations;
- Are adaptable and manage change;
- Are aware of environments in which they will be contributing;
- Are entrepreneurial in contributing to innovation and development within their business, workplace or community.
The first year of the program will focus on the fundamental scientific concepts and key issues in biotechnology, and the second year will extend these further into specialised areas and develop student skills in communicating their science knowledge to others. In addition to the knowledge of biotechnology, graduates will develop skills of critical inquiry, teamwork, and written and oral communication skills. Graduates will also develop independent research and problem-solving skills and extend their written communication and critical analysis skills through oral presentations and a minor thesis. These attributes will be evidenced through the various assessment tasks which students will be required to successfully complete.
Pathways and scholarships
- Credit transfer, recognition of prior learning and scholarships.
Course fees and requirements
- Entry requirements and non-year 12 entry.
|2023 rate*||Estimated total cost of the course||Estimated cost of the course per year if studying full-time*||Annual Amenities fee if studying full-time*|
||$67,400||$33,700||See how your SSAF is calculated|
How do I pay my fees?
FEE-HELP is a loan given to eligible full-fee paying higher education students to help pay part or all of their tuition fees. The Commonwealth Government pays the amount of the loan directly to Swinburne.
Students, regardless of completing any of the above streams in Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Technology can be admitted.