Master of Business Administration (Executive)
Blended learning – on-campus and digital learning
Please Note: This course will not be taking applications for 2023.
You might be interested in our Master of Business Administration. Applications are now open.
The Master of Business Administration (Executive) builds on your work experience and challenges you with advanced, highly relevant thinking, knowledge and skills so you can be a leader who sees, seizes and manages opportunities in today's dynamic business environment.
Swinburne's well-deserved reputation for working closely with industry is apparent in the co-design and co-delivery of EMBA content with our industry partners MBA (Victoria), Pitcher Partners and ARQ Group. The CEO Magazine has ranked Swinburne's MBA (Executive) as number one in Australia.
At the end of the EMBA, you will experience the Master Builders' workplace simulator, the only one of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere. You will spend the day working on challenging issues with actors playing different roles in fast-moving scenarios.
We have four intakes a year and, depending on prior study and experience; you may complete the EMBA in one year, 18 months or two years.
Every international student application is considered for a scholarship
Whether you’re living in Australia or overseas, you’re automatically considered for a scholarship of up to 30% off your course fees. Please check our updated entry requirements.
This course will not be taking applications for 2023. You might be interested in our Master of Business Administration. Applications are now open.
A$42200 (annual for 2023)*
The indicative course fees shown in Course Search apply to international students for the relevant year only. They are based on a standard study load per year. However, please note that fees are assessed according to a student's study load in each semester, and variation to study load will result in an adjustment to tuition fees. All fees are subject to annual review and may be adjusted.
Professionally accredited by
Course industry partners include
MBA (Executive) ranked best in Australia
The CEO Magazine has ranked Swinburne's MBA (Executive) as number one in Australia.
The program also placed 17th in the world in the Global Executive MBA Rankings 2021 and maintained its tier one ranking for its MBA and MBA online.
Swinburne’s MBA (Executive) focuses on building and teaching the key skills business leaders and managers need to enter the ‘next phase’ of their careers and its Leadership Simulator allows to test real-life situations in a unique way.
MBA Executive provided me with new ways of thinking, learning, seeing the world, and approaching problems. The course has had a positive impact on my pesonal and professional life. I now feel more equipped to tackle the inevitable challenges and opportunities of living an engaged life.
Master of Business Administration (Executive)
Be an innovator
Undertake this course and you’ll be joining other change-makers at Swinburne’s Australian Graduate School of Entrepreneurship – the first dedicated entrepreneurship school in the nation. One of our unique AGSE offerings, this course will give you the mindset of edge.
“Entrepreneurship,” says AGSE Director, Alex Kaiser (pictured), “is about questioning the status-quo, identifying opportunities, making decisions and implementing ideas. Concisely, it’s about having impact.”
Go from student to CEO
Swinburne has partnered with the Institute of Managers and Leaders to provide you with the essential skills and qualifications needed to go from student to CEO.
Through the institute, MBA students take part in exclusive industry workshops, business case studies, one-to-one mentoring, and personalised professional development.
You’ll also access Australia’s largest network of management and leadership professionals through membership to the institute for the duration, plus one year, of your studies.
Course information in detail
- Course detail, course structure and units of study.
The Master of Business Administration (Executive) is for those with years of work experience who want to challenge themselves to think differently, up skill their management knowledge, change careers and develop the agility and adaptability to exploit opportunities in the constantly changing business environment. The course covers areas including leadership, innovation, governance, accounting, marketing, finance and strategy. Its focus is on developing skills in critical analysis, decision making applying economic, ethical and social lenses, managing risk, and building creativity, innovation and leadership. The course is primarily about learning by doing – a mix of academic teaching and research, professionals sharing their expertise, and experiential learning involving industry partners. The course design also allows the choice of electives to complete a specialisation in areas such as social impact, entrepreneurship and innovation, and other business areas.
- Graduate Certificate of Business Administration (Executive)
- Graduate Diploma of Business Administration (Executive) ^
- Master of Business Administration (Executive)
International students in Australia who hold student visas are required to study full-time and on campus. Courses that are taught entirely online are only available to international students studying outside Australia or those in Australia who are not on a student visa. Online courses are not available to international students in Australia who hold a student visa.
To qualify for the award of Master of Business Administration (Executive), students must complete 150 credit points comprising of:
- 8 Core units (100 credit points)
- 4 Elective units or one specialisation (50 credit points)
The maximum level of credit that can be granted for the Master of Business Administration (Executive) is 75 credit points (normally six units).
Units of study
Want to know more about the units that make up your course, how many units you need to complete, our recommended study sequence, and what your timetable looks like this year? Check out our Course Planner and get enrolled.
Students must complete ACC60008 as core and pick any three from the remaining list of units.
Students must complete FIN60006 as core and select any three from the remaining list of units.
FIN60006 Frontiers in FinTech
Students must select up to four units from the list below. NOTE: some units are equal to 25cps.
Students to complete INF70005 as core and pick any three from the remaining list of units.
Students must complete BUS80003 and BUS80021 as core and select one of the two remaining units.
Students must complete any four units from the list below.
Careers and graduate outcomes
- Career opportunities and course aims and objectives.
Aims and objectives
At completion of the Master of Business Administration (Executive), graduates should be able to:
- Apply coherent and advanced knowledge of business and leadership concepts in diverse contexts and applications using critical thinking
- Apply problem solving, design and decision making methodologies to identify and implement innovative solutions to complex problems to design and conduct consultancy
- Communicate proficiently in professional practice to a variety of audiences, function as an effective member or leader of a team, and use extended tools and practices of business within project work
- Demonstrate and apply professionalism, integrity, ethical conduct, professional accountability and a deep awareness of professional practices in a global and sustainable context
- Apply business fundamentals to the analysis, design and operation of a business model using appropriate business methods and tools, applied in a variety of contexts
- Reflect on, and take responsibility for, learning and self-management processes
- Apply knowledge of research principles and methods to plan and execute a piece of research with some independence.
Pathways and scholarships
Swinburne business degrees are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International. The alumni of AACSB accredited business schools are among the world’s most influential leaders, innovators, and entrepreneurs impacting business, government, and non-profit sectors. Only five per cent of business schools worldwide are AACSB accredited.
The Leadership Simulator component provided me with first-hand experience of crisis management and decision-making during a high-stakes situation - a realistic redundancy scenario. When I went to a job interview, I highlighted how this developed my leadership skills, improved my competencies by providing 360-degrees performance analysis, and taught me new and practical ways to lead under pressure. I got the job! So my advice is: Just do it! It's worth every dollar.
Master of Business Administration (Executive)
Course fees and requirements
- Fees, entry requirements and English language requirements.
A prerequisite for many courses, the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) can now be done on campus in Hawthorn at Room 132, Building TD. Book now or call +61 3 9214 3584 for more information.
- a recognised bachelor degree in any discipline PLUS a minimum of three years equivalent full-time relevant managerial experience* or
- a Graduate Certificate of Business Administration (Executive) ** or
- completion of the Postgraduate Qualifying Program PLUS a minimum of three years equivalent full-time relevant managerial experience*(available to International applicants only)
English language requirements
Satisfactory completion of one of the following:
- IELTS overall band of 6.5 (Academic Module) with no individual band below 6.0
- Swinburne’s English for Academic Purposes (EAP 5 Advanced level) with overall 70%, all skills 65%
- Or equivalent measures available at English language requirements.
How to apply
Find out more
Tel: +61 3 9214 8444 (outside Australia)