Graduate Certificate of Applied Statistics
You’ll become familiar with statistical software packages such as R and IBM SPSS, learn best-practice methods for research design, and develop your data analysis skills. You’ll build your problem-solving capability by working with real-life data and completing group activities.
This qualification is well suited to graduates of other disciplines or those who need to use statistics in their role but haven’t had formal applied statistics training. Your skills can be applied to a wide range of disciplines and industries, including market research, business, sports and health.
Every international student application is considered for a scholarship
Whether you’re living in Australia or overseas, you’re automatically considered for a scholarship of up to 30% off your course fees. Please check our updated entry requirements.
Online (Study Period 1, Study Period 3) - View application and start dates
A$19860 (total for 2023)*
The indicative course fees shown in Course Search apply to international students for the relevant year only. They are based on a standard study load per year. However, please note that fees are assessed according to a student's study load in each semester, and variation to study load will result in an adjustment to tuition fees. All fees are subject to annual review and may be adjusted.
Course information in detail
- Course detail, course structure and units of study.
This course is designed for graduates in any discipline, especially for humanities, social sciences, health sciences, information systems and business graduates who have a professional interest in the use of statistics. It is also applicable to other graduates who have a need to use statistics in their work but have not had sufficient experience with applied statistics. It concentrates on practical skills and enables participants to broaden their theoretical and practical knowledge in the basic areas of statistics.
International students in Australia who hold student visas are required to study full-time and on campus. Courses that are taught entirely online are only available to international students studying outside Australia or those in Australia who are not on a student visa. Online courses are not available to international students in Australia who hold a student visa.
Maximum Academic Credit
The maximum level of credit that can be granted for the Graduate Certificate of Applied Statistics is 25 credit points (normally two units)
Units of study
* Outcome units - matched exemptions are generally not granted for higher education outcome units.
Careers and graduate outcomes
- Career opportunities and course aims and objectives.
Aims and objectives
- Apply critical thinking skills to review, analyse and consolidate statistical knowledge to provide solutions to complex problems in diverse fields
- Synthesise communication skills to demonstrate an understanding of theoretical statistical concepts to transfer knowledge and ideas to a variety of audiences
- Defend the application of statistical knowledge and skills to make independent judgements in a range of technical or management functions in varied specialised contexts
- Interpret and report statistical results accurately.
Pathways and scholarships
Course fees and requirements
- Fees, entry requirements and English language requirements.
A prerequisite for many courses, the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) can now be done on campus in Hawthorn at Room 132, Building TD. Book now or call +61 3 9214 3584 for more information.
- A recognised 3 year bachelor degree; or
- 5 years (minimum) relevant industry experience*
English language requirements
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall 6.5 with no individual band below 6.0
- Swinburne English Language Centre: EAP 5 Advanced level with overall 70% and all skills 65% or above
- Or equivalent measures available at http://www.swinburne.edu.au/study/international/apply/entry-requirements/
How to apply
Find out more
Tel: +61 3 9214 8444 (outside Australia)