Certificate IV in Circus Arts
During this one-year course, students will be taught to see the body as their key instrument, and will study and practice conditioning and training, core circus foundation skills, movement and performance skills, applied practices, professional behaviours, health and safety, and circus history and trends.
Graduates of a Certificate IV of Circus Arts will be able to pursue a career as a core circus performer, an ensemble member, and will be well prepared to go into further study.
- NICA website: https://www.nica.com.au/certificate-iv-in-circus-arts-pm-15.html
- Joining our prospective students mailing list: https://www.nica.com.au/newsletter-subscribe.php?form=inside_track
- Contacting NICA directly via e-mail or phone: firstname.lastname@example.org 039214 6975
This course is currently in transition.
The course code, title, units, and content may change. Further information will become available on our website, upon enrolment or during your studies. To discuss your study options, please get in touch with us today.
1 year full-time
Prahran (January) - View application and start dates
This is a nationally approved vocational course that is recognised throughout Australia.
Course information in detail
- Course detail, course structure and units of study.
Units of study
Careers and graduate outcomes
- Career opportunities, course aims and objectives and graduate skills.
- Core circus foundation skills performer
- Ensemble member
- Assistant in properties and bump in/out
Aims and objectives
- Perform preliminary level circus and physical theatre acts
- Participate in the development of preliminary level solo, partner, and group circus acts
- Participate in the development of preliminary level sequences, physical theatre and ensemble performances
- Provide support, under direction, for performance plans of an organisation, company or troupe
- Take responsibility for own performance and collaborate with others in solo and ensemble circus acts
- Take responsibility for the safety of own and others’ equipment and props
Pathways and scholarships
- Pathways, credit transfer, recognition of prior learning and scholarships.
Course fees and requirements
- Fees, entry requirements and non-year 12 entry.
Certificate IV in Circus Arts
Estimated course fees for 2023*
|Course fee options||Full course fee||Skills First Government-subsidised place||Concession rate|
|Total Cost (GST Free)||$15,150||$8,610||$1,684|
This training is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding.
You could be granted a Skills First government-subsidised place when you apply for this course. Check your eligibility now.
You may be entitled to apply for a fee concession if you meet the eligibility criteria.
The eligibility criteria are set by the Victorian Government and assessed by Swinburne in accordance with government directives, which are subject to change at any time.
Find out if you're eligible for a fee concession here.
If you are not granted a government subsidised place, the full course fee will apply. Check your eligibility now.
Indicative nominal course hours: 930.
- Fitness and conditioning
- Handstands / balance
- Tumbling / acrobatics
- Demonstration of body alignment
- Movement and performance skills
How to apply
Entry into NICA requires an application via Swinburne University of Technology using the Apply Now button on this page - followed by audition, interview and medical assessment.
If you are interested in this course and would like further information about auditions, please sign up to Inside Track for audition information and application dates.
More information about studying at the National Institute of Circus Arts is available at the NICA website.
Indigenous students are encouraged to apply.
Applications to audition for the Certificate IV in Circus Arts will close 25 August 2023.
Find out more
Tel: 1300 SWINBURNE
Training Organisation Identifier (TOID): 3059