Associate Professor Max Schleser
PhD Creative Arts, University of Westminster, United Kingdom
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Social Sciences, Media, Film and Education
- Centre for Transformative Media Technologies
- Department of Film and Animation
Max Schleser (BA Hons, MA Art and Media Practice with Distinction, PhD Westminster) is Associate Professor in Film and Television and a researcher in the Centre for Transformative Media Technologies (CTMT) at Swinburne University of Technology (Melbourne, Australia), Adobe Education Leader, Founder of the Mobile Innovation Network & Association (www.mina.pro) and Screening Director of the International Mobile Innovation Screening & Festival.
Max is an award-winning filmmaker with expertise in immersive media, documentary film and creative arts 4.0 with a focus on cinematic VR and interactive filmmaking. His research explores screen production, emerging media and smartphone filmmaking for community engagement, creative transformation and transmedia storytelling.
His experimental films, moving-image arts and cinematic VR projects are screened at film festivals, in galleries and museums including FLEFF Film Festival (USA), Festival de La Imagen (Columbia), Museu da Imagem e do Som – Museum of Moving Image (Brazil), London Gallery West, South London Gallery (both UK), Ngā Taonga Sound & Vision - New Zealand Film Archive, Te Papa Tongarewa – Museum of New Zealand (both Aotearoa/New Zealand), Pocket Film Festival and Videoscope (both France). His mobile feature film Max with a Keitai (2007) is included in the public film archive in the Forum des Images in Paris (France) and the smartphone documentary feature Frankenstorm (2014) broadcasted on CTV, Canterbury Television (Aotearoa/New Zealand).
Max co-edited the books Mobile Media Making in an Age of Smartphones, Mobile Story Making in an Age of Smartphones and Mobile Storytelling in an Age of Smartphones and edited journals for Studies in Documentary Film, Ubiquity, the Journal of Pervasive Media and the Journal of Creative Technologies. His monograph Smartphone Filmmaking: Theory and Practice was published by Bloomsbury in 2021.
He conceptualised and conducted digital storytelling workshops for a number of cultural institutes, city councils and government bodies in Australia, New Zealand and the UK. His industry consultancy includes projects for Adobe, Australian Red Cross, BBC, Nokia, Frontier Strategy, Open Lab and Telstra, among other agencies and production companies.
Digital Media, Film and Television
Fields of Research
- Screen And Digital Media - 360500
Also published as: Schleser, Max; Schleser, M.; Schleser, Max R. C.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
- 2023-06-14: Swinburne Australia students visit minister, explore local culture - New Sarawak Tribune
- 2022-10-06: Filmic Pro Update with Max Schleser and Susy Botello - SBP Podcast
- 2022-02-28: FIVARS 2022 Spotlight - FIVARS - Festival of International Virtual and Augmented Reality Stories
- 2021-12-19: DIMFF 2022 arranges masterclass on smartphone filmmaking - Prothomalo English
- 2021-11-18: Smartphone feature film production rises and rises - Screen Hub
- 2021-09-06: Making films with your smartphone - 3CR Radio & podcast
- 2021-01-18: Swinburne University filmed Tales from Yarriambiack Shire - The Wimmera Mail-Times
- 2020-09-17: Swinburne University of Technology — Learning and adapting in a changing world - Adobe News
- 2020-06-12: Collaborative Storytelling - Mobile Journalism Conference Asia
- 2020-05-25: Aging: it's really quite OK - The Senior - VIC
- 2019-11-22: Films for a better climate - www.goethe.de
- 2019-08-12: The best of times for emerging filmmakers, screen producers and creatives - NiTRO
- 2019-06-14: Nucleus - Goethe Institute
- 2019-06-14: THE WORLD'S BEST SMARTPHONE FILM FESTIVALS - Mobile Motion Film Festival
- 2019-05-22: Content and Creativity in Smartphone Filmmaking through MINA - Medium & SBP Podcast
- 2018-11-07: Byte Into IT - RRR
- 2018-10-25: The Art of Experimental Mobile Storytelling - sbppodcast
- 2018-10-18: VR Production Workshop for Cinematic VR & 360° Video Production - https://blog.vuze.camera
- 2017-10-24: What Is The Future Of 360-Degree Video? - UPLOAD VR
- 2017-10-13: ABC Radio Breakfast - ABC Radio
There are no media images to display