Professor Hussein Dia
Doctor of Philosophy - Transport Studies, Monash University, Australia; Masters of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, United States; Bachelor of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, United States
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- School of Engineering
- Centre for Sustainable Infrastructure and Digital Construction
- Department of Civil and Construction Engineering
I am professor of Future Urban Mobility in the Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology. I currently serve as the Chair of the Department of Civil and Construction Engineering; Deputy-Director of the Smart Cities Research Institute; and Program Leader of the Institute's Future Urban Mobility research program. In my role as Chair of Civil Engineering, I work alongside a highly dedicated academic team who have collectively positioned Civil Engineering as one of the highly regarded Civil Engineering departments in the country. In this role, I work with internal & external stakeholders to build on the success of the team and position the Department for further growth, success and recognition. In my role as Deputy Director of the Smart Cities Research Institute, I facilitate interdisciplinary research and actively engage with external organisations to identify issues and needs that the Institute can address through its thematic research programs. I also lead one of the Institute's research programs on future urban mobility.
My research interests are in the convergence of technology, infrastructure and human elements in urban environments. My current work is focused on disruptive mobility and harnessing digital innovations to unlock potential opportunities for low carbon mobility. My current research includes investigations of how autonomous vehicles, Blockchain, Internet of Things and the sharing economy are set to transform mobility in the world's cities. My standing in this field is demonstrated by more than 100 publications including books on ITS and low carbon mobility for future cities.
I am a Chartered Professional Engineer, Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers, Fellow of Engineers Australia, and Fellow of the Institute of Transportation Engineers. I have previously served as Board Member of ITS Australia, and currently serve as Senior Editor for the international journal IEEE Transactions on ITS.
Transportation Systems Engineering; Intelligent Transport Systems; smart mobility; autonomous vehicles; driverless cars; smart cities; smart infrastructure
Fields of Research
- Transport Engineering - 400512
Also published as: Dia, Hussein; Dia, H.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
- 2021-07-15: France provides electric bikes in exchange for cars - ABC Radio Melbourne
- 2021-07-09: Hyperloop interview - Alaraby TV
- 2021-06-02: As Cars Become Mobility Services, Fujitsu and AWS Develop Automotive Cloud Computing Tools - IEEE Spectrum
- 2021-05-12: The mysterious Tesla crash & the future of self-driving cars - RT NEWS UK
- 2021-04-28: The Future of Self Driving Cars - RTR FM 92.2
- 2021-04-22: Self-driving cars are still a long way off. Here are three reasons why - The Conversation
- 2021-04-19: Self-driving cars interview ABC 24 - ABC 24 ABC News Hour
- 2021-03-29: Driving for change with Hussein Dia - RTR FM
- 2021-03-12: Do automated cars pose less of an insurance risk than people? - Mozo
- 2020-05-26: Coronavirus recovery: public transport is key to avoid repeating old and unsustainable mistakes - The Conversation
- 2019-12-11: Could Congestion Pricing Provide a Panacea for Melbourne’s Gridlock? - IPAA Victoria
- 2019-10-26: Toyota's not alone in the slow lane to self-driving cars - Reuters
- 2019-10-25: Toyota's Not Alone in the Slow Lane to Self-Driving Cars - New York Times
- 2019-10-24: Toyota n'est pas seul sur la voie lente des voitures autonomes - news-24.fr
- 2019-10-15: Electric Scooter Trial in Melbourne - ABC Radio Breakfast Melbourne
- 2019-10-15: Interview with SBS Radio about congestion charging - SBS Radio
- 2019-10-14: City of Port Phillip backs e-scooter trial over summer - The Age
- 2019-10-14: Interview with Virginial Trioli, Mornings ABC Radio Melbourne (start listening at 49:00) - ABC Radio
- 2019-03-22: Hussein Dia: tackling the urban transport future - iMOVE CRC website
- 2019-03-01: Interview on tech diplomacy and disruptive mobility - Observatorio empresas vodafone
There are no media images to display