Dr Belinda Barnet
PhD, UNSW, Australia
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Media and Communication
Dr Belinda Barnet is Senior Lecturer in Media at Swinburne with research interests in digital cultures, social media, the app economy, data analytics, AI, data privacy, cyberstalking, and the history of digital media. She welcomes applications from prospective students working on topics in social media and digital media.
Her current projects include examining the role of automation in speech rehabilitation in order to improve the use of Cochlear Implants in deaf children, and investigating Shadow Data.
Alongside her research work, Dr Barnet has worked as Service Delivery Manager (Wireless Content Services) for Ericsson Australia. She is the author of "Memory Machines: the Evolution of Hypertext" (Anthem Press UK, 2013). She convenes the Social Media Major at Swinburne.
Scientific Computing and Visualisation; Digital Media, Film and Television; mobile media; social media
Fields of Research
- Screen And Digital Media - 360500
- Communication And Media Studies - 470100
Also published as: Barnet, Belinda; Barnet, B.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
- 2020-08-30: Can Australia Force Google and Facebook to Pay for News? - Wired
- 2020-08-28: OOGLE’S ‘SCARE CAMPAIGN’: WHAT’S THE GO WITH THOSE NEW WARNING ALERTS? - SBS
- 2020-08-26: The coronavirus tracing app gets a privacy tick, but it will test Australians' trust - SMH
- 2020-08-24: Google protests 'unworkable' ACCC code for digital platforms to pay news media companies - The Guardian
- 2020-08-22: Media Diversity Not Just Another Box to be Ticked - Canberra Times
- 2020-08-19: sOracle said to be in negotiations to buy TikTok - SMH
- 2020-04-15: Mobile tracking app the next step to curb coronavirus spread - 3AW
- 2019-01-16: Sharing Your Netflix? Here's Why You Should be Worried - The New Daily
- 2019-01-15: Signing Off Messages With 'X' Isn't Flirting - Ten Daily
- 2018-11-13: The deadline for My Health Record has been extended - Yahoo Finance
- 2018-10-18: ‘Creepy’: Here’s why your phone could be listening to your conversations - The New Daily
- 2018-10-05: Virgin Australia launches Alexa voice recognition check-in service - The New Daily
- 2018-09-21: Folks Are Mad The Govt Promised $4.5B For Private Schools And $0 For Public - Pedestrian TV
- 2018-09-17: Users Like Facebook Despite Privacy Issues - SBS News
- 2018-08-03: How Apple became world’s first trillion-dollar company - The New Daily
- 2018-07-20: Errors and incompetence': Australians split over government's opt-out digital health records - The Age
- 2018-04-10: Facebook data: how to protect your personal information - The Sunday Times
- 2018-04-09: How to stop haemorrhaging your data on Facebook - TechCentral
- 2018-04-05: Facebook data leak: Australia’s privacy commissioner to investigate - The West Australian
- 2018-03-23: Guy mansplains the internet to web inventor Sir Tim-Berners Lee and gets hilariously called out - The Sun (UK)
There are no media images to display