Dr Belinda Barnet
PhD, UNSW, Australia
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Media and Communication
Dr Belinda Barnet is Senior Lecturer in Media at Swinburne with research interests in digital cultures, social media, the app economy, data analytics, AI, data privacy, cyberstalking, and the history of digital media. She welcomes applications from prospective students working on topics in social media and digital media.
Her current projects include examining the role of automation in speech rehabilitation in order to improve the use of Cochlear Implants in deaf children, and investigating Shadow Data. She is working on an ARC grant to develop an app to help recently implanted children learn to talk.
Alongside her research work, Dr Barnet has worked as Service Delivery Manager (Wireless Content Services) for Ericsson Australia. She is the author of "Memory Machines: the Evolution of Hypertext" (Anthem Press UK, 2013).
Scientific Computing and Visualisation; Digital Media, Film and Television; mobile media; social media
Fields of Research
- Film, Television And Digital Media - 190200
- Communication And Media Studies - 200100
Also published as: Barnet, Belinda; Barnet, B.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
- 2018-04-09: How to stop haemorrhaging your data on Facebook - TechCentral
- 2018-04-05: Facebook data leak: Australia’s privacy commissioner to investigate - The West Australian
- 2018-03-23: Guy mansplains the internet to web inventor Sir Tim-Berners Lee and gets hilariously called out - The Sun (UK)
- 2018-02-26: Indignación en Nueva Zelanda por una entrevista "sexista" a su primera ministra - HuffPost
- 2018-02-26: Jacinda Ardern 'creepy' 60 Minutes interview sparks anger - BBC World News (UK)
- 2018-01-09: News Segment: Apple Asked to Limit Screen Time For Children - SBS World News 6:30pm
- 2017-12-03: SMS is jarig – 25 jaar geleden werd het eerste bericht gestuurd - Business Insider
- 2017-11-06: Turnbull backflips on Cotizenship Issue - Junkee
- 2017-11-06: YouTube: Trump causa polémica por su forma de alimentar peces - El Comercio
- 2017-11-03: OMG! Text Messaging Turns 25 - The Age & SMH
- 2017-10-27: Policy Found To Target Indigenous Youth - SBS News
- 2017-07-09: Australian journalist pulls no punches in piece on US influence after G20 summit - Fox News
- 2017-07-06: How To Help Your Child With Hearing Loss Roar - Australian Hearing blog
- 2017-06-01: Trump slams 'Crooked Hillary' on Twitter and Clinton fires back with a 'covfefe' jab - International Business Times
- 2017-05-04: Belinda Barnet Interview: Memes in Politics: Weapon of choice - 2SER
- 2017-04-10: Australian news reporter receives tons of support after she is 'fired' over viral video - Digital Spy
- 2017-04-04: Australian Scientists Are Developing An App To Help Deaf Children Speak - Gizmodo
- 2017-03-31: App will teach infants with cochlear implants to speak - Swinburne
- 2017-03-28: Facebook shows users different things based on their ethnicity - Seventeen
- 2017-03-27: Researcher hopes to teach infants with cochlear implants to speak – with an app - The Register UK
There are no media images to display