How to apply for ethical review
All human ethics applications must now be lodged online using Swinburne Ethics Review Management (ERM) using the following steps. For detailed instructions see the ERM Human Ethics Applicant Guide.
- Go to https://ethicsapps.swin.edu.au/
- Click on Log In at the top right hand side
- Use your Swinburne account (Swinburne email address) and password to log in (if you are already logged in click on Home to take you to your Work area)
- Create a project and select the correct ethics application
a. New Human Research Ethics Application
b. Human External Approved/Transferred
c. New HREA (Clinical Trials)
- Complete the application- you can invite your collaborators to review and work on the form too
- Create and attach relevant additional documents (see below)
- Obtain sign off on your application from the CI
- Submit by the relevant ethics committee deadline
- Respond to any queries posed by the ethics committee
- Ethics approval will be granted once all outstanding queries are satisfied
- Commence your research
I already have ethics approval from another Australian HREC
- For applications that have already received ethical approval from an NHMRC-registered Australian HREC please select the Human External Approved/Transferred application in the ERM system (see User guide for more information) and complete this form. You will be required to provide evidence of approval from the non-Swinburne HREC and copies of all documents that they approved.
I have already started my application on the old form or the HREA.gov.au
- If you have already started an ethics application on the old Swinburne Ethics application word doc, we strongly recommend that you transfer this onto the new online form.
- We will be accepting applications on the old Swinburne ethics application until 12th June
- After 12th June we will only be accepting ethics applications lodged in ERM.
- If you have completed an application in HREA.gov.au you can upload this into Swinburne ERM. For more information on how to do this please contact email@example.com
What about my previous ethics applications?
Very limited information referring to your old ethics applications will be transferred to Swinburne ERM by the 19th June. This includes:
- Project number
- Project title
- Approval dates
- Research Location
We encourage all users with a previously approved ethics application to upload a copy of their current approved ethics application into the system as an uploaded document. If you would like to do this please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will unlock these applications for you so you can do that. You may also wish to transfer your existing ethics application onto ERM, you may do this for certain applications should you wish to, however this is optional. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Download the Guide to Informed Consent Instruments [Doc 46KB]
Download the Guide to Informed Consent Instruments (Sarawak) [DOC 41KB]
These are also located in the 'Help' section of ERM (under 'Templates').
Click here to download the Consent in Human Research brochure
Click here to download the Recruitment in Human Research fact sheet
Click here to download the Program vs. Project Studies fact sheet [PDF 421KB]