Swinburne has become one of the first universities in Australia to launch a Charter of Cultural Diversity.
The Charter reaffirms and extends acknowledgement and respect for the many cultures that make up the Swinburne community.
Launched on the eve of Victoria’s Cultural Diversity Week, the Charter is underpinned by a set of Cultural Objectives, with initiatives in the areas of:
- Culture and Capability
- Teaching and Learning
- Research and Development
- International Collaboration.
“At Swinburne, we believe diversity creates strength,” Director of Multicultural Engagement, Mr Chin Tan says.
“Our students and staff come from more than 100 nations, across every continent of the globe.
“This Charter will ensure there is a consistent, university-wide approach to cultural diversity across all areas of the university.”
The launch of the charter took place at the Hawthorn campus, during a ceremony attended by students, staff and members of the community, including:
- Mr Hong Lim (MP) – Parliamentary Secretary for Multicultural Affairs and Asia Engagement and Member for Clarinda
- Ms Helen Kapalos – Chairperson – Victorian Multicultural Commission
- Mr John Pesutto (MP) – Shadow Attorney-General and Member for Hawthorn
L-R: Ian Hamm, Helen Kapalos, Professor Linda Kristjanson, Graham Goldsmith and John Pesutto
The ceremony was followed by Swinburne’s annual World Kitchen event, where students from diverse communities prepared and served specially chosen dishes.
Cultural diversity initiatives
In recent years, Swinburne has undertaken a number of cultural diversity initiatives, including:
- The launch of a suite of Welcome Scholarships, which have made university education possible for holders of Bridging Visas E (subclass V050) and Temporary Protection Visas (subclass V785)
- The development of the Bridging with Books program, which aims to bring together VCAL students and Migrant Education students at the university’s Croydon campus
- Being the first university in Victoria to appoint a Director of Multicultural Engagement, Mr Chin Tan
Find out more about Swinburne’s equity and diversity initiatives.
Read Professor Linda Kristjanson's speech from the launch of the Charter of Cultural Diversity.