On-the-job experience before you graduate will give you the edge in today’s job market. Complete a professional work placement and graduate knowing what your future career really entails and whether it’s right for you.
Through our partnerships with leading companies, we offer you the opportunity to work in a professional placement directly related to your area of study. You are paid and receive academic credit towards your degree.
Incorporating a professional placement into your course is optional, and it gives you to chance to:
- put theory into practice in authentic work situations
- develop critical and creating thinking
- widen your horizons and learn "how the world works"
- explore career options
- network with colleagues and potential employers.
Professional placements have replaced the Industry-based Learning (IBL) program and are available to all eligible students from 2017. Read testimonials from some of our placement students.
Professional placements are full-time positions undertaken for either 6 or 12 months, depending on the roles available.
Undertaking a placement will extend the total duration of your degree and credit points you are required to complete.
- 25 credit points earned towards your degree, provided you have two spare electives
- if sufficient electives are not available, eligible students will still be allowed to enrol and complete a placement
- enrolment in ‘Work Experience in Industry A’ and ‘Integrated Professional Placement A’ for a 6-month placement
- further enrolment in ‘Work Experience in Industry B’ and ‘Integrated Professional Placement B’ for a 12-month placement.
You will be paid as part of your professional placement. Pay is at industry award rates applicable to the sector in which you are undertaking the placement.
Students who undertake a professional placement will be covered by Swinburne’s Public Liability insurance.
Students will be charged a standard unit tuition fee for the Professional Placement units. A one-off placement fee of $1500 will also be charged to domestic students only.
- domestic and international undergraduate students enrolled in a standard three or four-year degree program
- students studying through Swinburne Online (SOL) or Open Universities Australia (OUA) are not eligible for a Professional Placement in 2017
- a weighted course average of 60.0% or higher
- completed a minimum of 150 credit points in your degree, and have a minimum of 37.5 credit points remaining at the completion of the placement
- selection is via a competitive process, and may include an interview with the industry partner
- international students who successfully gain a placement will need to transfer to a corresponding Professional Degree and apply for a new visa that reflects the longer duration of their course.
- register your interest in the professional placements program
- your eligibility will be confirmed
- you will be added to Placement Ready, a compulsory Blackboard module that assists with CV and cover letter writing as well as interview skills
- once Placement Ready has been successfully completed you will be provided access to view and apply for placement opportunities
- securing a professional placement is a competitive process and will rely on the quality of your CV, cover letter, academic record, interview and folio (where applicable).
Please note: you do not need to register your interest if you are enrolled in a professional degree.