Some of your most valuable knowledge may come from observing industry professionals at work in your future field. A Professional Internship gives you the opportunity to do this while you are still studying, earning credit towards your degree.
You will have the chance to apply for opportunities relevant to your discipline. Professional Internships incorporate part-time work experience over one semester (18 to 24 days total) in conjunction with an online academic component featuring specific Work Integrated Learning objectives.
An internship will give you the chance to:
- observe and participate in real projects and day-to-day work, under the guidance of industry professionals
- develop professional and practical skills in your field
- understand what it means to apply your knowledge in a real work setting.
Internships are part-time over one semester. They normally involve interactions with an industry partner for one or two days per week. Occasionally they are undertaken intensively during the summer or winter terms.
Professional Internships are available to undergraduate students in the following disciplines:
- Behavioural Science
- Film and Television
- Games and Interactivity
- Information and Communication Technology
- Information Systems
- Media and Communication
A professional internship is an elective unit worth 12.5 credit points. You must have an elective unit free in your study plan to accommodate taking an internship.
Professional internships are normally not paid.
Insurance and Fair Work Act
Students who undertake a Professional Internship will be covered by Swinburne’s Public Liability insurance. All Professional Internships will comply with the Australian Government’s Fair Work guidelines for unpaid internships.
If you have a disability or ongoing health issue and are undertaking a placement or internship, Swinburne offers a range of of disability support services.
Students will be charged a standard unit tuition fee for the Professional Internship unit.
- students in courses that have a Professional Internship as an accredited study option
- domestic and international students (students studying through Swinburne Online (SOL) or Open Universities Australia (OUA) are not eligible for a professional internship)
- completed a minimum of 150 credit points in your degree, or in the last semester of your degree have a minimum of one unit of study plus the Professional Internship unit remaining to complete your degree
- have an elective unit free in your study plan
- a weighted course average of 60.0% or higher
- selection may include an interview with the industry partner.
- register for the Professional Internships program
- your eligibility will be confirmed
- you will be added to Placement Ready, a compulsory Blackboard module that assists with CV and cover letter writing as well as interview skills
- once Placement Ready has been successfully completed you will be provided access to view and apply for internship opportunities
- securing an internship is a competitive process and will rely on the quality of your CV, cover letter, academic record, interview and folio (where applicable).
Register now for the Semester 1 2018 internships program. Registrations for the Semester 1 program will close on 31 January 2018.