From 2016, Swinburne is offering a unique opportunity for high-achieving students to enrol in a degree that incorporates a paid, full-time work placement.
Swinburne's professional degrees feature a mandatory 12-month work placement which is normally undertaken during your third year of study. You will be paid for the placement, receive academic credit and gain invaluable skills that will help you to be job-ready upon graduation. You can complete the degree, including the 12-month placement, in as little as 4 years.
A professional degree will set you apart from other graduates. It will allow you to:
- put your knowledge into practice in a real work situation
- explore the avenues that your career could take
- build your professional network
- test your work capabilities
- receive valuable mentoring and unique industry insights before you graduate
- maintain your student benefits
- add substantial, discipline-specific experience to your CV.
A professional degree will normally take 4 years to complete, including the 12-month work placement. The Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)(Professional) will take 5 years to complete, including the 12-month work placement.
Your course duration may be longer, depending on your chosen major area of study and other study options.
On completion, you graduate with a bachelor's degree.
- you will become eligible to apply for a work placement after successful completion of minimum 150 credit points
- the Professional Placements team will contact you and provide access to Placement Ready, the compulsory Blackboard module that assists with CV and cover letter writing as well as interview skills
- after completion of Placement Ready, you will be given access to roles
- selection is via a competitive process, and may include an interview with the industry partner.
You will be paid for your 12-month work placement. Pay is at award rates as applicable to the industry sector in which you are employed.
Swinburne's Professional Degree courses are open to local students who have completed the VCE or equivalent Australian Year 12 program. Check the individual entry requirements for your preferred course.
Professional Degree courses
Browse the courses below.