Planning and support

Maybe you’d love to study overseas but you’re worried about all the things you have to arrange and whether you’ll cope living away from home in a foreign country. Rest assured that even the most experienced traveller isn’t always confident; it’s normal to feel a bit nervous. At least one out of five exchange students has never been overseas before.

You don’t even have to speak the language. All our partner universities offer classes taught in English where you will meet lots of people from across the globe who also don’t speak the local language. If you are keen to learn, some of our partner universities offer introductory language lessons.

If you’re not quite ready for a six-month overseas experience, our short-term study tours (two to four weeks) are a great way to start.

Plan and arrange your overseas study with the help of our friendly staff at Swinburne Abroad.  They have a wealth of information and support.  Visit during our drop-in times.

Drop into our office during Monday - Friday between 9am – 5pm and speak to a staff member about your options.

You can also connect with us via our Facebook or Instagram to keep up to date with our events and information sessions.

Contact us

If you have any questions please contact us. 

t: 03 9214 5926


Visit our office located in the BA Building, Level 2, Atrium, Hawthorn Campus.

Travel insurance for outbound mobility programs

All Swinburne students participating in overseas student mobility activities including semester exchange, faculty-led study tours, short-term overseas partner programs, overseas internships and overseas placements must be covered by an adequate level of insurance for the entire duration of their time overseas. This is the responsibility of the student.

Swinburne students have two options for travel insurance:

Personally arranged insurance

Students purchase insurance from any external provider for the entire duration of their time overseas. The entire duration must include the academic program and any personal travel. Coverage limits and excesses will vary between policies. You will need to ensure that your policy meets minimum Swinburne requirements. Please refer to the Swinburne Travel Insurance Declaration Form‌ for a list of requirements that your personally arranged insurance should cover. This form must be completed and submitted to Swinburne Abroad, along with a copy of the policy purchased.

Swinburne provided insurance

Swinburne will organise travel insurance, free of charge, which will cover you for the duration of the academic program and any other personal travel either side for a maximum total trip duration of 180 days (including travel days to/from Australia).

Note: If your total trip duration will exceed 180 days outside of Australia due to a lengthy Swinburne Mobility program duration (for example, by undertaking two consecutive semesters of Exchange) please contact the Swinburne Abroad team prior to purchasing additional insurance
Note: If your total trip duration exceeds the coverage duration (i.e. is in excess of 180 days), due to the impact of including personal travel days, you will need to organise further insurance cover through one of the two options:
  • Additional insurance through Chubb. Please see here.
    If selecting to purchase additional insurance through Chubb, this must be arranged and purchased prior to departing Australia

  • Take out your own insurance through an external provider for the entire duration of your time overseas.
    Note: It is not recommended to take out a combination of both Swinburne Chubb and another provider, as there may be problems if you need to submit claims on your policies.

University Corporate Travel Insurance Policy information 

  • Swinburne's insurance is a comprehensive Corporate Travel  Insurance policy provided by Chubb.  The Swinburne travel insurance has a general excess of $500 (no excess applies for medical and hospital expenses, medical evacuations, travel cancellations or delays outside of traveller’s control).

Students who elect to be covered by Swinburne’s travel insurance will be provided with:

  • a Travel Insurance certificate of currency;
  •  a Chubb Assistance card (which contains the insurance policy number and emergency assistance contact details);
  • Chubb Assistance instruction leaflet;
  • A link to the Chubb Assistance website (which allows Swinburne travellers to register then log-in using the Swinburne travel insurance policy number to access travel security and safety advice and other pre-trip and during travel information).   

Travellers covered by the University’s travel insurance policy can contact Chubb Assistance as soon as they require advice, are feeling unwell, have been injured, have lost documents, luggage or are concerned for their personal safety. Chubb Assistance will accept a reverse charge call and are open 24 hours a day, every day.

Travellers should, both before and during travel, keep themselves informed of travel warnings and security issues, or changes thereto, by accessing either the World Travel Emergency Assistance website or the Australian Government website Smartraveller.

Current students who require a copy of the full insurance policy document, tailored certificate of currency or travel insurance claim form should contact Swinburne Abroad to obtain this information. 

Pre-Existing Medical Conditions

Pre-Existing Conditions are covered under Swinburne's travel insurance policy, except where:

  • the journey is undertaken against the advice of a Doctor or when the traveller is unfit to travel
  • the purpose of the journey is to enable the traveller to seek medical attention for a pre-existing condition
  • costs are claimed in relation to medication or ongoing treatment for a Pre-Existing Condition and which medication or treatment the traveller has been advised to continue during travel

All students with pre-existing conditions must get a letter from their doctor addressing any pre-existing conditions and confirming that they are fit to travel. In the case of a claim, the insurers may ask the traveller to prove they were fit to travel and provide a letter confirming this as explained above. That letter should be retained by the student and should be submitted to the insurer not Swinburne Abroad.

If you have any questions regarding how a pre-existing condition may or may not be eligible for cover, please contact but do not include any details of your medical condition or history. Simply request an Insurance Team member contact you to discuss your question.

Also please note there is no cover for routine medication, or medical, optical or dental treatments or consultations. 

High Risk Activities

Swinburne’s Corporate Travel Policy does not cover high risk activities such as:

Scuba diving up to forty (40) metres (subject to PADI Certification), expedition bicycle touring, mountain biking, motorcycling if more than 200cc, quad biking, trekking/mountain trekking up to four thousand (4,000) metres, white water rafting of Grade 4 and above with a qualified guide, 4 wheel driving adventure, big wave surfing, canoeing down rapids, cliff jumping, gliding, horse jumping, hunting, mountaineering, sky diving, stunt riding, skiing or snowboarding, snow tubing/rafting, snow mobiling, ultra marathons, biathlons, triathlons.

If you are covered by Swinburne’s Corporate Travel Insurance or have personally taken out a Chubb policy, for continuity of cover you may choose to purchase an Adventure Sports Pack or Winter Sports Pack insurance add-on which will provide cover for the activities above. To access this, please visit the Chubb Travel Insurance website.

Making a Travel Insurance Claim

To receive a copy of the travel insurance claim form, current students should contact Swinburne Abroad or the University’s Insurance Officer.  All travel insurance enquiries (including claims enquiries) should be directed to the Insurance Officer within the Finance Department. The Insurance Officer can be contacted at

The Insurance Officer will provide advice about the acceptability of the insurance claim and provide the appropriate claim form for completion. Please note that a general deductible / excess of AUD$500 applies to each claim (($nil excess applies for medical and hospital expenses, medical evacuations, travel cancellations or delays outside of traveller’s control). When making a claim in respect to a stolen item, the claimant must provide evidence that the items were stolen (police report, statutory declaration). 

Travel insurance claim required documents:

  • In the event that a medical practitioner is consulted whilst overseas a medical certificate must be obtained and all receipts for medical expenses must be retained.
  • Personal property lost or stolen must be reported to the police within 24 hours of the loss and a police report obtained. A claim may be lodged on return.
  • Claims for damage to luggage whilst in transit should, in the first instance, be lodged with the airline concerned and a report obtained. A subsequent claim may be possible on return.
  • Receipts for the original cost of the claimed item, and replacement cost quotes (or receipts for items already replaced) should be obtained and provided with the completed travel insurance claim form. 

Exchange Partner Institutions - Health Insurance Policy

Some exchange partner institutions may require incoming exchange students from Swinburne to purchase a compulsory health insurance policy from a particular local provider. This payment may be required either pre or post arrival. This is particularly common in the United States of America and in some European countries such as France or Germany. This will be at the students’ own cost and in addition to the travel insurance provided by Swinburne or purchased in Australia in advance.