Tax return help for students

If you need help lodging your tax return, you may be eligible for Swinburne Student Life’s Tax Help program.

The Tax Help program is a free and confidential service to help students complete their tax returns online using myTax. The service is run by a group of ATO-trained and approved student volunteers. 


Volunteers can help you lodge your tax return or amendment online or claim a refund of franking credits.

If our volunteers work out that you don’t need to lodge a tax return, they can help you complete a non-lodgement advice.

When is Tax Help available?

Tax Help is available from August to October at Swinburne’s Hawthorn, Croydon, and Wantirna campuses. 

Who can access Tax Help?

You are eligible for Tax Help if your income is around $60,000 or less for the income year and you did not:

  • work as a contractor, for example a contract cleaner or taxi driver
  • run a business, including as a sole trader
  • have partnership or trust matters
  • sell shares or an investment property
  • own a rental property
  • have capital gains tax (CGT)
  • receive royalties
  • receive distributions from a trust, other than a managed fund
  • receive foreign income, other than a foreign pension or annuity.

Note: If you’re eligible for Tax Help, you will need a myGov account linked to the ATO.

Book an appointment

You can also schedule a time by contacting Swinburne Student Life by phone, email or in person. 

Swinburne Student Life contact details

phone: +61 3 9214 5445
34 Wakefield Street, George Building, Level 1

Information to bring to your appointment

To prepare your tax return, you must bring certain information to your appointment. Make sure to read and complete the steps in the Tax Help appointment confirmation form [PDF 168KB]