Independent advocacy service
If you are having an issue with your academic progress or with your experience at Swinburne, you can get advice and assistance from a Swinburne Student Life advocacy officer. It’s a free, confidential and independent service.
Our advocacy officers will listen to your problem and provide unbiased advice on the most suitable solution for you. We can also connect you to other services where appropriate. We aim to help you to resolve your problem as soon as possible.
Swinburne Student Life provides this advocacy service for all current students. It is an information, advisory and referral service that helps you to understand Swinburne’s policies and regulations and your rights and responsibilities.
Swinburne Student Life advocacy officers can:
- help you resolve issues with your lecturers/teachers or with the University
- talk you through processes for complaints and grievances
- assist with unsatisfactory progress concerns
- help you draft official correspondence such as 'show cause' responses, formal grievance letters and formal reassessment applications
- provide support and advice during disciplinary matters
- explain Swinburne’s policies and procedures and provide realistic assessments of your concerns
- advocate for you at official hearings and meetings
- refer you to external or other Swinburne services where appropriate.
Show Cause Assistance
How to Prepare a Show Cause Submission:
- Webinar: Friday March 6, 10am: “SOL Higher Ed Students – How to Prepare a Show Cause Submission” register here.
- Webinar: Tuesday March 10, 1pm: “SOL Higher Ed Students – How to Prepare a Show Cause Submission” register here.
We conduct in-person appointments across all of our three campuses or via phone or Skype.
To book an appointment:
What you need to bring to appointments:
- student ID card
- any correspondence (such as emails and letters) relevant to your issue
To contact the independent advocacy team directly you can email your enquiry, supporting documents and drafts to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hawthorn: George Level 1
Wantirna: WB 2.24
Croydon: CF 113