Refunds for international students

You may be eligible for a refund of fees under certain circumstances, if you meet the criteria and can provide documents to support your claim.

If you are eligible for a refund, any outstanding fines, debts or administration fees will be deducted from your refund. Please refer to the 'Payment of Refunds' section of the 'Terms and Conditions' in your Offer Acceptance form.

Refund reasons

The table below shows situations in which a refund may be justified and the documents required to support your application. 

Please note that if you have special circumstances not covered in the table and feel you have grounds for a refund, we encourage you to meet with an International Student Adviser to discuss your options.

If you submit a refund application and outline that your circumstances have changed after the unit’s census date and before the end of the unit’s teaching period, your application will be considered with the supporting documentation you provide.

If a refund is approved in this situation, the monies paid will be held as credit in your Swinburne student account for use toward your future tuition fees. Please consult with an International Student Adviser to discuss if you need these funds earlier, e.g. in an emergency situation.


Required documents

Your student visa was rejected/cancelled

Copy of letter(s) from the Australian Embassy/High Commission/Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) verifying the cancellation or rejection of your visa

You did not meet the condition(s) of your offer

Evidence (results) of the conditions not met.
Note: An administrative fee applies if proof is not submitted

You have officially declined your offer

Copy of Swinburne receipt(s) and supporting documents (if required)

You have been officially withdrawn from a course

Confirmation of withdrawal in writing from Swinburne

You have officially been granted a Leave of Absence from your studies

Confirmation of approved Leave of Absence in writing from Swinburne

You have overpaid your student contribution/course fees

Proof of payment and details of the refund amount requested

Your visa status has changed (e.g. you have been granted Permanent Residency before the Census date)

Copy of your passport and an official copy of your Permanent Residency Visa

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) (Offshore only)

Copy of OSHC receipt from OSHC and a copy of the Swinburne receipt showing OSHC payment

You are an offshore student and did not receive a student visa and have only paid OSHC

Copy of letter(s) from the Australian Embassy/High Commission verifying the rejection of your visa. Evidence of OSHC payment or copy of your OSHC certificate

Important: If you believe you have Special Circumstances, you should apply using the Post Census Application for Special Circumstances.

How to apply for a refund

Please do not submit an application without supporting documentation. All documents to support your refund application must be originals or certified copies.