Request a recheck of your mark
If you believe there may have been an error in the mark you have received from an exam, assignment or other assessment item, you can request a recheck.
We assess your work through a rigorous process which includes moderation by a second marker and apply consistent assessment standards to ensure accuracy. To have your mark rechecked, you’ll need to have valid reasons.
The recheck process
Step 1: Meet with your unit convenor (local resolution)
To request a recheck of your mark, email your unit convenor outlining your concerns and to make an appointment to discuss your assessment item. This begins what is known as the 'local resolution' process.
This must be done within 10 working days of your results being published or your assessment item being made available for collection. Keep a copy of your emails to show that you have lodged your request within the required timeframe.
Your unit convenor will work with you to try and resolve the matter. This may include:
- checking that the assessment item was correctly marked
- checking that the aggregate marks for assessment components have been taken into account
- discussing the marking criteria with you
- reviewing your attendance or submission records.
After your meeting, the convenor will complete an Exam/Assessment Recheck Report. This is sent to your Faculty Student Progress Team, and kept as a record of the meeting. You will be asked to make any comments and sign the report.
Step 2: If you're not satisfied with the outcome of your meeting (local resolution), you can lodge a complaint
You must submit your complaint within 21 working days of being notified of the local resolution outcome. Your complaint should include:
- an outline of why you think the original assessment result is inappropriate
- details of the outcome of the meeting with the unit convenor
- any specific issues you believe are relevant to your mark
- any new and relevant evidence.
Your complaint will be assessed to determine if you are eligible for a reassessment. If a reassessment is granted, your work will be independently reassessed. You will be notified of the outcome via your Swinburne student email account within 21 working days of submitting your complaint.