Course structure and choosing units

Find out about the different types of units in your course: majors and minors, units that you need to study in a certain order, and professional placements.

Course structure and unit details

To view your course structure and which units you can choose to study:

  1. Go to Find a course
  2. Enter the name of your course in the search window (e.g. Bachelor of Business)
  3. Choose your course from the list of search results.

On this course page you can:

  • see what majors are available to study (select the blue ‘Choose a major’ box to see a list)
  • see the core units and other units that make up your course
  • choose other areas of study (second majors, minors, electives, etc.)

You can also read a detailed description of each unit (by selecting the link on the unit name).

Use this information to help plan your course in your course planner.

Majors and minors in bachelor degrees

There are different types of majors and minors that can form part of a bachelor degree:

  • A major (or first major) is an area you would like to specialise in. A major is a set of eight units spaced throughout your course.
  • You can sometimes study a second major or co-major alongside your first major. Swinburne lists first majors and second majors on the testamur you receive when you graduate.
  • A minor is a set of 4 units that you can choose from any field of study.
  • An advanced minor is a set of four units in a field of study that builds upon your major.
  • Elective units are single units that don't form part of a major or minor.

Units you need to study in a certain order

There are three types:

  • Prerequisite – you must complete this unit before enrolling in a following unit. For example, Innovative Business Practice is a prerequisite unit students must complete before they can enrol in the unit Advanced Innovative Business Practice.
  • Co-requisites – you must complete this pair of units at the same time.
  • Concurrent prerequisites – you may complete these units either at the same time or before the higher unit.

Check 'My Enrolment' to make sure you are planning to enrol in the right prerequisite and co-requisite units. If you enrol in units in the wrong order it can affect future units you're able to study and how long it takes you to complete your course. 

You may have covered off requirements for a requisite course through previous completed study or work experience. If this is the case, you can apply for a prerequisite waiver

Professional placement and work-integrated learning (undergraduates)

If you're a local student enrolled in a three or four-year undergraduate degree you may take six-to-twelve months of professional placement as work-integrated learning. This learning is then credited towards your Swinburne degree.

Note: only international students enrolled in a professional degree can undertake a professional placement. 

Credit for study abroad and study tours

If Swinburne approves your application to study abroad, you will enrol into the host institution overseas. You will earn academic credit from your host instiution for the units you complete. Swinburne will not, however, give you academic credit until your return. Note, academic credit will not always be equivalent across different institutions. 

Some study tours offering academic credit have a unit code and you can enrol in them like any other unit. Costs and additional requirements can apply.