Getting credit for prior study or experience

If you have relevant work experience, or have successfully completed previous study, you can apply for academic credit.

You can use academic credit towards units in your course. When you’re granted academic credit, you may be able to complete your course sooner. Academic credit is also known as advanced standing. 

Previous study

You may be eligible for academic credit if you've successfully completed previous study.

Higher education and Unilink students

Higher education students can apply by submitting our online application form. Please read the form to check what documentation you need to upload with your application. We respond to online applications within five business days.

You can still apply for credit once you have received your VTAC or direct offer, but you'll need to submit your application by the correct cut-off dates.

Higher education students must submit their applications by the end of the first week of their course start date.

Vocational education students

Vocational education students can apply for academic credit by submitting the Advanced standing credit transfer form [PDF 60KB] in person or by post to studentHQ

How much credit you can expect

We assess your application carefully. We base your amount of credit on:

  1. the type of study you have completed
  2. how many units you've completed
  3. the relevance to the course at Swinburne you are applying for.

Recognition of prior learning

You may be eligible for recognition of prior learning if you have gained extensive and relevant knowledge through formal training or your work and life experience. 

Higher education students

To apply for recognition of prior learning download the application guidelines [PDF 140KB] then submit the Apply for advanced standing credits or higher education recognition of prior learning (RPL) form. 

The application guidelines specify the documents that higher education students need to submit. We will only accept original or certified documentation. We will send you an email notification once we've assessed your application

Vocational education students

If you are thinking about applying for recognition or prior learning please book a one on one appointment with your course coordinator or if you are new to Swinburne please submit an enquiry and one our friendly staff will respond to you.

Please note: Fees will apply if you decide to proceed with your RPL application following your one on one appointment.

Current students

If you're currently studying at Swinburne and want to transfer from one related course to another, Swinburne will automatically credit units from your old course to your new one.

For example, if you're undertaking a graduate diploma and then wish to undertake a Masters degree in the same discipline, the units you completed as part of your graduate diploma will automatically be credited towards your Masters. 

International students

Please note additions or variations to granted Advanced Standing (exemptions) may impact your student visa.

Get help and advice        

If you have any questions about getting credit for your studies or experience, contact studentHQ.

Read more about Swinburne's academic credit policy

Our Academic credit policy describes the requirements and principles that govern how we assesss your academic credit application.