In 1908, the Honourable George and Ethel Swinburne founded Swinburne (then known as the Eastern Suburbs Technical College) with a simple premise in mind: to provide technical education to a sector of society otherwise denied further education. The first students enrolled in classes including woodwork, science and mathematics. In 1963, Swinburne led the way with one of the first industry-based learning programs and from the 1970s offered degrees in engineering, accounting, chemistry and arts. On 1 July 1992, by an Act of the Victorian Parliament, Swinburne gained university status.
Throughout our history, we have demonstrated our ability to be innovative and responsive to change. We continue to focus on emerging technologies, industry engagement and flexible learning options. We ensure we adapt and evolve with the times and deliver relevant education for our students — today and tomorrow.