PhD (Doctor of Philosophy)
PhD candidates are required to make a significant and original contribution to a discipline or profession by submitting one of the following, equivalent to 70,000 – 100,000 words:
- a written research thesis
- a written research thesis including associated papers
- an artefact, such as a creative work or design product, with an accompanying exegesis (critical explanation).
A PhD candidate is expected to:
- conduct independent research of high originality and quality
- independently conceive of, design, conduct and complete a research project or program
- develop a critical knowledge and understanding of the research area and methodological approaches
- communicate convincingly with clarity and relevance to appropriate audiences.
Our Partnered and offshore PhD programs allow you to complete your research degree jointly at Swinburne and at an international or Australian partner university.
Graduate Certificate of Research and Innovation Management
As part of your Doctor of Philosophy program, you will concurrently earn a Graduate Certificate of Research and Innovation Management (GC-RESIM).
You will complete the coursework (two core units and two electives) alongside your PhD program. Course material is delivered via both online units and on-campus workshops. The assessments for core units are embedded within existing PhD milestones to avoid disruption.
This course will expose you to various industry practices within your chosen field, and provide you with a wider range of career options, and has been designed to enhance the experience, career prospects and employability of PhD students through innovative research training.
Swinburne offers PhD study in broad research areas. Find out more about the specific research expertise and opportunities available in the following areas:
- Business (DR-BUS)
- Business – Practice Based Research (DR-BUSPRC)
- Clinical Psychology (DR-PHICP)
- Design (DR-DES)
- Engineering (DR-ENG)
- Health Sciences (DR-HTHSCI)
- Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (DR-HAS)
- Information and Communication Technology (DR-ICT)
- Information Systems (DR-IS)
- Law (DR-LAW)
- Science (DR-SCI)
- Technology Innovation - Science, Engineering and Technology (DR-TECHIN)
- Technology Innovation - Health, Arts and Design (DR-TECHAD)
- Technology Innovation - Business and Law (DR-TECFBL)